We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Sidney to Brisbane Feb 2015

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Sidney to Brisbane Feb 2015

My husband & I (young 60 year olds) are holidaying Sidney to Brisbane for 10 days in the middle of February 2015. We will have had 3 weeks in NZ then fly into Sidney. Current plans are 3 nights in Sidney then hire a car and drive to Brisbane stopping at a few places on the way. It would be good to have at least one night in Brisbane then we fly to Hong Kong before coming home. Any advice on the driving, best places to stay/see, B&B ideas for accommodation would be gratefully received. We like towns, walking, interesting shopping, eating, good views and opportunities to meet locals. We are not keen on museums or zoos. Thanks in advance.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,539 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Sidney to Brisbane Feb 2015

look at www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au for car choice/prices

There is an inland route via Hexham, Tamworth, Armidale, Brisbane and the coast via Hexham, Taree, Coffs Harbour, Brisbane - depends on your interests. The coast route can be a bit boring as the road is not on the coast and requires side trips to interesting places (eg Port Stephens, Dorrigo, Wauchope, Byron Bay)

Finally note we spell it Sydney (not Sidney)

Oz
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Sidney to Brisbane Feb 2015

Hi,

Juan Antonio Olive Branch has a lot to answer for..................."and the vinner is SID-EN-EY".

Hi if travelling the coastal route I would suggest ewe stay at:

Forster

South West Rocks (side bar trip to Bellingen and Dorrigo between here and Ballina or Brunswick heads)

Ballina or Brunswick Heads

Broadbeach

Between Sid-en-ey and Brisabane.

If travelling the inland New England Highway stay at:

Tamworth (If you like C&W)

Armidale (a night or two and explore the New England)

Glen Innes

Cheers,

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Sidney to Brisbane Feb 2015

I also like what OZ has selected, so just adding to his selection, we also like -

Crescent Heads

Agree South West Rocks

Nambucca Heads

Yamba or Angourie

Cabarita

Palm Beach

To be honest, you're driving in February, all the little darlings will be back at school (hallelujah), so why not freewheel until you find a place that you really like, stay there the night then head off again till you find another place.

Safe travels - Robert

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Sidney to Brisbane Feb 2015

THis is my favourite route Via M1 and Pacific Highway , Sydney, Port Macquarie, South West Rocks, Coffs Harbour, Ballina, Coolangatta, Surfers Paradise, Brisbane.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 04:15
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Sidney to Brisbane Feb 2015

use this link for planning your driving trip - enjoy Oz !

www.mynrma.com.au/trip-planner.htm

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Sidney to Brisbane Feb 2015

In Sydney

Take the regular ferry from Circular Quay To Manly.

Walk around The Rocks, Circular Quay and the Sydney Opera house

Take the 200 steps up The Sydney Harbour Bridge Pylon Lookout.

Visit Darling Harbour, Chinatown and Paddy's Markets.

There will be a lot of accommodation available on the drive up the coast to Brisbane at places such as Port Macquarie, South West Rocks, Coffs Harbour, Nambucca Heads, Yamba, Ballina, Byron Bay, Coolangatta, Surfers Paradise. No need to book, just find a place you like and stay the night

It;s about 12 hours drive from Sydney to Brisbane

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,546 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Sidney to Brisbane Feb 2015

SENCoJ

I've just come back from a road trip to the Gold Coast ... you may be interested to read my blog - 2014 Road Trip etc ...

http://blog.travelpod.com/members/dougo

In summary, I really liked the New England Highway Route tho' we did like the beach towns on the Northern NSW coast (Brunswick Heads, Lennox Heads etc)

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Sidney to Brisbane Feb 2015

Thank you all for your posts, all useful and my notes for planning are growing all the time. I will learn to spell Sydney before I set off on my travels! I think the coast road will be our choice but perhaps head inland to see the rainforest as we get towards Brisbane. So pleased to hear that the school holidays are over as we are both recently retired teachers and have had plenty of time with the the youth of today at work. Any further advice will happily be received.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Sidney to Brisbane Feb 2015

HI SENCoJ,

For a different option which will get you in the rural area of Queensland, when you leave Brisbane, have a look at driving to Toowoomba, Dalby then on to the Bunya Mt, a rare type of Bunya Tree rainforest.

www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/bunya-mountains/

…blogspot.com/-sOzUAeAUR0k/…IMG_3930.JPG

Another option, from there you can head north and maybe head Carnarvon Gorge, really nice place.

www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/carnarvon-gorge/

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ahHQHgRL_xg/UCESxkhkAHI/AAAAAAAAAc0/f6wTgh2Qk_Q/s1600/Carnarvon+Gorge+(6).jpg

Safe travels - Robert

10. Re: Driving Sidney to Brisbane Feb 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:17