We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self tour Blue Mountain,jenolan cave and sky rail

London, United...
Level Contributor
776 posts
Save Topic
self tour Blue Mountain,jenolan cave and sky rail

Hello,

Is it possible to self tour Blue moutain,jenolan caves and the senic world sky rail/cable car in one day rather than doing a organised day tour?

The reason I ask is that there are no tours of jenolan caves on its own, so while I'm up there it makes sence to squee that part in. I do not have tme to spend the night threre due to limited time

If this can be done, how can i get there and back from Circular Quay area, is there pubic transport or a hop on bus that that could take that route?

I'm Free Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Blue Diamond Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Kangarrific Tours
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self tour Blue Mountain,jenolan cave and sky rail

Blue Mountains Bus Company offers the only Jenolan Caves bus trip that's not part of a tour from Sydney. It leaves from Katoomba, but still takes the bulk of the day - leaving there at 10:35 am and returning by 5pm. This is the closest you'll get to public transport to the caves.

www.trolleytours.com.au/jenolan-caves-tours

I suppose you could get a very early train from Sydney, and have a quick look at Echo Point and surrounds before getting back to the town centre for the bus to Jenolan. But it wouldn't be possible to visit Scenic World.

An organized tour that includes both destinations, or hiring your own car and trying to squeeze both in, is really the best option. (I've done the latter, but it's a long day.)

Of course travel to Katoomba would be by train from Central Station (change there from a local train from Circular Quay). It's about 2 hours from Central, so allow 2.5 from CQ.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 11:49
London, United...
Level Contributor
776 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: self tour Blue Mountain,jenolan cave and sky rail

Thanks,

looks I will have to settle for the Blue Mountains Grand tour with scenic world rail rides, but miss Jenolan out.

Or could to the blue mountain and Jenolan combo and do the scenic world rail ride another day but guess that alone would take a whole day to get to.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: self tour Blue Mountain,jenolan cave and sky rail

If you do skip Jenolan, it's certain possible (and very popular) to take the train to the Blue Mountains (Katoomba) and use either local public transport, or the HOHO buses to get to Scenic World. This will probably save you a lot compared to a bus tour from Sydney (though the bus tours are quite popular too). See the "FAQ - Visting the Blue Mountains" at right for more information and come back if you have further questions after reading that.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self tour Blue Mountain,jenolan cave and sky rail

There are several trip reports from tourists who have DYId to Katoomba and seen the sights by themselves.

To go to Scenic World and participate in all they have to offer, allow around 2-3 hours or so.

Depending on when you are travelling, it can start to get cold in the Blue Mountains by mid afternoon particularly during the cooler months .... therefore darker earlier so make sure you get up to Katoomba by mid morning to take advantage of what's on offer.

Also take / wear layers of clothes to keep warm.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: self tour Blue Mountain,jenolan cave and sky rail

It sounds like you are pretty short on time. The drive from Katoomba to Jenolan Caves is long, especially in a bus. Unless you are really keen on caves I think you would be better to concentrate on the Blue Mountains. It is so beautiful there and you will get more time looking around and less time traveling.

London, United...
Level Contributor
776 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: self tour Blue Mountain,jenolan cave and sky rail

I have 4 days In Sydney which I call limited time.

The places I would like to see in that time time period and possibly anything else:

Blue Mountain - 3 sisters?

Scenic Sky Rail

Scenic Sky way

Scenic Cable way

The above I know is covered in a organised day tour unless I could do my self and cut the time short?

Jenolan Caves?

Sydney Gap

Sydney Tower

The Rocks

Darling and Circular Quay area

Olympic Park/stadium

Bondi beach - 1- 2 hrs

Watsons Bay - views

Sydney Harbour /opera House/ Sydneybridge +pylon- including night time city skyline views

Mrs Macquaries point - city day/night views

Any Bohemien districts/cool places?

Any help on a structured plan would be great, I can understand that some places may have to be left out.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
10,144 posts
1,349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: self tour Blue Mountain,jenolan cave and sky rail

Greetings

1. With the limited time you have available, I suggest you reserve the Jenolan Caves for another trip, unless you are highly motivated to see them

2. If you are interested in entertainment, I suggest you see what's on at the Sydney Opera House during your visit- here's their website: http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/homepage.aspx

Incidentally, the tour of the Opera House is worthwhile

3. Have you considered a Sydney Harbor cruise? There are several options, and it's an excellent sightseeing opportunity

Bon voyage:)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,146 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: self tour Blue Mountain,jenolan cave and sky rail

Hello,

From your list I would omit; Jenolan Caves, and Olympic Park.

You've mentioned 'structure', so perhaps you might like to 'group' your activities (in no particular day order)

* Circular Quay, The Rocks, Opera House, Mrs.Macquarie's Chair, Sydney Tower, Darling Harbour

* Watsons Bay, The Gap, Coogee, Bondi Beach, Paddington

* Sydney Harbour Bridge, Pylon Climb, Manly Ferry

* Blue Mountains

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,862 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: self tour Blue Mountain,jenolan cave and sky rail

Also agree to drop Olympic Park (really nothing to see) and Jenolan Caves (just too far in your limited time)

Edited: 24 August 2014, 00:53
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: self tour Blue Mountain,jenolan cave and sky rail

I agree with the others - and you can DYI the "highlights" of the Blue Mts quite easily. There are HOHO / Trolley buses that could drop you at the 3 Sisters and Scenic World and indeed you may prefer to walk instead.

The HOHO buses would allow you to see a little more and get on and off where you please ... you can catch them at Katoomba Station. Google Blue Mountains HOHO and / or Blue Mountains Trolley bus and you can find the routes and the timetables.