We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 7 full days in Sydney (incoming from NYC) too little?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is 7 full days in Sydney (incoming from NYC) too little?

Hi! I'm thinking about visiting my best friend in Sydney this fall. However, I was wondering if 7 full days in Sydney will be too short for all the hassle. I'm flying from NYC on a student budget. I'm afraid of being super jet lagged all the time in and not enjoy my time.

Also, how much will I be able to see in 7 days?

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 7 full days in Sydney (incoming from NYC) too little?

It is a long way from NYC to Sydney! If you can stay longer, I'm confident you would find things to do to occupy your time, as well as spending time with your friend:)

A tip for your flight- good noise cancelling cancelling headsets can make your trip more restful...

Bon voyage:)

Greater London...
Level Contributor
463 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 7 full days in Sydney (incoming from NYC) too little?

Hi - my wife and I are British and have spent hundreds of days in Sydney over the years so I would obviously say 7 days is not long enough! However, you can still do a fantastic amount in 7 days, so if that's all the time you have you will still have a wonderful time. And don't worry about jet lag too much. Yes, it will get you. We find we need to rest up the afternoon of the day after we arrive. After that we're OK. I suggest you get your friend (who knows your interests best) to plan your trip for you. If they are in Sydney they should know not only the visitor must sees (Circular Quay, the Rocks, Darling Harbour etc) but also the things tourists miss. Go, and have a great time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 7 full days in Sydney (incoming from NYC) too little?

Although it is a long way to come I think you can see and do a lot in 7 Days in Sydney on a student budget. The Rocks area, Cricular Quay, Ferry to Manly Beach, The Northern Beaches, Sydney Harbour Bridge Pylon Lookout ($13), Darling Harbour, Sydney Paddy's MarketsThe Blue Mountains. Bondi to Bronte walk. Watson's Bay. Taronga Zoo or Featherdale Wildlife Park. Heaps you can do in 7 Days.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,615 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 7 full days in Sydney (incoming from NYC) too little?

I've made that trip a number of times (East Coast USA to Sydney) and have never had much of a problem recovering from jet lag. The flights to Sydney generally arrive early in the morning and the best way I've found to minimize jet lag is to go, go, go all day on the day I arrive and not allow myself to go to bed until at least 8pm. By the next day, I have pretty much recovered.

You definitely won't lack for things to see and do in/around Sydney in 7 days, especially since you have a friend to help show you around!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 7 full days in Sydney (incoming from NYC) too little?

I have a relative who does exactly the same trip several times a year and never for more than a week or 10 days. He says the worst part of the trip is getting to the West coast and leaving the US. The TRANSPAC sector is a doddle. Longhorn's advice about dealing with jetlag is spot on. If you can afford it, why not. Beats staying at home.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 7 full days in Sydney (incoming from NYC) too little?

I agree you can fit a lot into 7 days. But keep in mind that your biggest cost will be the flights (assuming you can stay with your friend for free) so adding a couple of days would not make the trip that much more expensive. So if you are able to extend the trip by a couple of days, I would.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 7 full days in Sydney (incoming from NYC) too little?

Thanks a lot for all your replies. Tripadvisor community is the best :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,131 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 7 full days in Sydney (incoming from NYC) too little?

It would be a great opportunity for you, Sydney is reasonably easy to do on a budget as some if the best things are free! In particular walking around our beautiful harbour, over the bridge & visiting our beaches. I say go fir it while you have the chance, don't worry about the jet lag!

London, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 7 full days in Sydney (incoming from NYC) too little?

Like other posters I would extend your stay if you can. We have just come back and spent 6 nights/five days in Sydney. We flew from the UK so had some jetlag but as advised just stay up as long as you can on the first day.

In our 5 days we did

Blue Mountains

Whale watching from Darling Harbour

Manly Ferry

Paddys market/ Chinatown

Circular Quay/Sydney Opera House/Royal Botanic Gardens

There was lots we did not have time to do but are recommended like the Rocks, Bondi,walk arcross the Bridge so having an extra 2 days you could fit some of these in.

10. Re: Is 7 full days in Sydney (incoming from NYC) too little?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2015, 05:15