We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport in Sydney - Tickets for family of 4 adults

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Public Transport in Sydney - Tickets for family of 4 adults

Hi,

I will be in Sydney for 7 days (12-18 Oct). May I know which ticket will be more suitable for a family of 4 adults, for public transport in Sydney?

I'm alittle confused with all the different tickets available. I understand that there is a Opal card and a MyMulti ticket. There is family fare deal & Family Funday Sunday.

transportnsw.info/sites/…families.page

Thank you! :)

Greater London...
Level Contributor
463 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport in Sydney - Tickets for family of 4 adults

It obviously depends how much use you intend to make of public transport. All things being equal, I'd go for the weekly MyMulti3 while it's still available. It will take you anywhere in the area (including Manly and Parramatta), you can use it as much as you like (it's not pay as you go like Opal). its easy to understand, there's no risk of a default fare if you fail to tap out (as there is with Opal) and it covers light rail and central buses which Opal doe not do yet. The cost is $63 per person.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport in Sydney - Tickets for family of 4 adults

You need to tell us what public transport you are going to take, and the age of your children.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport in Sydney - Tickets for family of 4 adults

Hi.. we will be mainly using trains and buses. And we are a group of 4 adults, no children. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport in Sydney - Tickets for family of 4 adults

see this link to see which MyMulti works for you - advantage of MM3 is that it covers ferry trips to Manly and train to Blue Mts

transportnsw.info/en/…

The alternative is the new Opal card (electronic wallet) which can be used on all trains/ferries and a large proportion of buses (but not all buses until end of 2014). So maybe for tourists the MM paper ticket is the best.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,949 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport in Sydney - Tickets for family of 4 adults

7 day MM3 for 63 dollars is absolutely an excellent value.....I thoroughly recommend.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport in Sydney - Tickets for family of 4 adults

You're not eligible for Funday Sunday ticket - no children.

If you are only getting trains and buses, then you may not need a Multi-3, as a Multi-1 will cover all buses throughout Sydney and beyond, and all trains within 10km of the city centre (but no ferries).

Again, it's just impossible to tell which ticket you need unless you know where you are going.

But if you just want to buy a Multi-3 and not worry, then that's good too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport in Sydney - Tickets for family of 4 adults

If you did want to use an Opal card, there are several advantages:

* You pay only $2.50 per person on Sundays

* You would not pay more than $60 for fares for the Monday-Saturday part of your trip (not including the first Sunday when you arrive, but that's only $2.50)

* Since you are using trains and buses (and not ferries), I think you would likely pay a *lot* less than $63 per person for the week. But as others said, difficult to tell you without more details on your planned trips

Disadvantage of Opal: Need to be careful to tap on and tap off to avoid higher fares (though this won't affect the $60 per week maximum). May not yet be available on light rail in October - though all buses will almost certainly be completed by then. Need to keep track of balance and add money if low.

More about Opal here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255060-c211899/Sy…

8. Re: Public Transport in Sydney - Tickets for family of 4 adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:16