We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney airport & train travel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney airport & train travel

I am going to Sydney in October with my partner and I'm looking at catching the train from the domestic airport to Martin Place. I'm trying to understand how the airport train works? Do you pay 1 fee to get into the train station then another fee for the ticket?

we will be there a total of 4 days and I think I have worked out getting a weekly Mymulti 3 pass to be the best option as we want to get the ferry to manly and the zoo etc.

Any better alternatives please let me know.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,747 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney airport & train travel

No - the airport fee is contained in the ticket.

It's as easy as the BNE train - just follow the signs.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,119 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney airport & train travel

You are only in Sydney for 4 days so does a weekly MM3 make sense (costs $63 for the week, so for 2 people = $126) ? Alternative is to a buy a MM day ticket at $23 for trips to Manly and Zoo. Depends on what you want to do on other 3 days.

We also now have the Opal card which covers all trains/ferries and most buses (all by end 2014). The Opal card has a maximum charge of $15 per day and maximum in a Monday to Sunday week of $60.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,333 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney airport & train travel

Just a note that to get to Martin Place, you'll need to change trains at either Central or Town Hall.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney airport & train travel

When you catch a train at the airport your gate pass is included, however, it may not be included on your return ticket (it depends on the type of ticket you have purchased). If you need to buy a gate pass you can get it on arrival at the airport station. Just go to the ticket counter before the turnstiles.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney airport & train travel

I would suggest the Opal card would work out to be considerably cheaper for a four day trip, since you're unlikely to hit the maximum of $15 in fares every day (excluding the airport gate fee). Note that the Opal card will also deduct the $12.60 gatepass automatically at the airport. You do have to keep an eye on the balance and add money if you get low (there's no easy refund process so don't add too much ahead of time).

Cards can be purchased at the airport stations (but not other train stations). See here for more info:

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255060-c211899/Sy…

Also, as KVE noted, Martin Place is not on the airport line. What is your actual destination? You may find it easier to get out at St James or Wynyard stations and walk, rather than changing trains (particularly as the airport route takes a while to get to Town Hall).

6. Re: Sydney airport & train travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:16