We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best option or ticket to buy?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What's the best option or ticket to buy?

Hi, I am traveling with 7 other adults. We will stay there for 5 days and then go to Gold Coast. Arriving at Sydney International Airport at 10am. Then we plan to get a taxi from airport to Central Station and buy a weekly MyMulti1 from there, and then take a train from Central Station to our accommodation at Milsons Point. I know about the airport train fee too so that's why I am not buying that to Central Station. Is there any better option?

We plan to go Taronga Zoo too which I know requires MyMulti2, but would it be better if I buy MyMulti1 and Zoo Pass at Circular Quay instead? I worked out that's cheaper than MyMulti2.

For departure to Gold Coast at 1pm, should I do the reverse? Which means taking the train to Central Station and then take a taxi to the Sydney Domestic airport?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best option or ticket to buy?

With 8 of you just get a maxi taxi airport to your accommodation and back.

Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best option or ticket to buy?

Thanks but we are carrying big luggage each. So I don't think a maxi taxi can fit all of our luggage? (Not sure)

Can I buy MyMulti tickets at all stations or only the big stations like Central?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best option or ticket to buy?

If you have a lot of luggage, all the more reason to get a maxi (or 2). Our trains are intra-city commuters, don't have a lot of room for piles of luggage.

Even if you had to take 2 maxis, the cost will be about the same, or more likely less than the train - and no messing about changing trains & trying to manage what you have described as a lot of luggage.

Simply ask the taxi co-ordinator at the taxi queue to arrange the appropriate vehicle/s for your party.

Sorry, I don't know about cost if multi day passes etc. The train fare to the city is about $15 per person.

m.transportnsw.info/jqm/en/index.html#trips

www.sydneyairport.com.au/go/by-train.aspx

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,557 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best option or ticket to buy?

Agree just take the taxi to Milsons Point (door to door, quicker and easier with luggage and splits the cost across 8 people).

Mymulti tickets can be bought at all rail stations.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best option or ticket to buy?

If the OP is going to buy a MyMulti anyway, then it is surely going to be cheaper to get the taxi to central and change then it is to get the taxi all the way to Milsons point. There will be no incremental cost.

There won't be too much issue getting on the train to Milsons mid-morning - but wheeling bags through a station is never fun.

When you're considering a Multi-1 vs a Multi-2, also consider you can get the ferry from Milsons Point to Darling Harbour and to Circular Quay, which is a pleasant way to arrive.

Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best option or ticket to buy?

Thanks everyone for the replies! Very helpful and I will ask the rest of the group if they want to walk with their luggage or door to door first then.

Another question not answered:

We plan to go Taronga Zoo too which I know requires MyMulti2, but would it be better if I buy MyMulti1 and Zoo Pass at Circular Quay instead? I worked out that's cheaper than MyMulti2 but I am concerned about the queue to buy the Zoo Pass? It will be on a Tuesday morning.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,557 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the best option or ticket to buy?

MM1 costs $46 and MM2 costs $54 - I think the saving is only a couple of dollars. Up to you but always easier with the right MM ticket. Queues are manageable on a Tuesday morning.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the best option or ticket to buy?

they are currently servicing lifts a central …. not sure of your visit dates but the lift was still surrounded by hoardings last weekend

I'm not sure but it possibly may be the one for north shore?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the best option or ticket to buy?

The lift currently being rebuilt is at platform 20/21, that is the City Circle going towards Museum. This is the platform on which trains from the airport arrive.

When I was there recently they actually had helpers to carry people's luggage down the stairs, which was quite a nice service.

You could also remain on the airport train as it goes around the city circle, at which point it ends up back at Central on platform 19: where the lift is operating now (this takes about 20 minutes).

I tried to find the info with the dates of these projects (they are refurbishing several of the lifts I think), but the Sydney Trains/NSW Transport web sites are a mess.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the best option or ticket to buy?

No its not the airport one …

that one is all OK… well it was 4 days ago… it was done during April thru June…

and yes the website is a mess

Edited: 30 August 2014, 01:08