We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koala

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Koala

Koalas. Will be in Sydney in two weeks for a few days. My teenage daughter will be over the moon if she can have the chance to hold a koala. At the least, to pet one. In general, zoos make us feel sorry for the animals, but there are some that do better jobs than others in trying to make the habitats more generous/comfortable. Is there someplace near Sydney that mimics a natural habitat pretty succesfully? Came across the Koala Reserve (Narrandera) during some internet research. Are there tours from Sydney that can take us out there? Feedback?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Koala

Narrandera is a long drive from Sydney

I highly recommend the Australian Reptile Park at Gosford .. lovely grounds, plenty of space for a picnic (or a café on site) lots of animals including kangaroos, Tassie devils etc and you can get yup close and personal with a koala (just be aware that in NSW you cannot actually hold them) Excellent (free) talks on a wide variety of animals are on during the day

Its a lovely drive - under an hour depending on where you are stying in Sydney http://www.reptilepark.com.au/ I took a young German exchange student there earlier in the year and she absolutely loved it

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
989 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koala

Narrandera is is a long way to go just to hold a Koala. Featherdale Wildlife Park which at Doonside about one hour west of Sydney City is the best place to get up close and touch a Koala along with other native Australian animals. Children love the animals there. It is hard to see Koalas in the wild as they are so high in the trees in the reserves.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 09:52
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koala

Another vote for Featherdale tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g580468…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,909 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koala

Taronga Park Zoo, right in Sydney, allows visitors into one of the koala enclosures and you can get close and have photos, but not touch. There is also a stunning performance by trained native birds.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koala

You could fly to Narrandera and back in a day - for about $400 - $700 depending on when you want to go (with Regional Express) - plus whatever it costs to get a cab out to wherever these kangaroos are.

Be a bit cheaper to go to Featherdale!

Edited: 02 September 2014, 11:23
Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koala

Will you be anywhere else in Auatralia besides those few days in Sydney? For instance, in Brisbane, Cairns, Adslaide and Kangaroo Island, among other places, you can legally hold a tame koala. Australia Zoo outside of Brisbane is wonderful.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Koala

I was a big fan of Featherdale untill I went to the Reptile Park - so much more space - for people and the animals, less 'cages'

If you are using pubic transport then Featherdale is a better option but if you have access to a car then the Reptile Park wins for me

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koala

Thank you, everyone. Looks like the Reptile Park has peaked the most interest with Helen's feedback that it had fewer cages. Will also try to hit Featherdale, while we're at it. We have lovely zoos in California (including San Francisco and the famous San Diego Zoo), but my kids never were fans, because they felt sorry for the animals and wanted to set them all free.

I love this forum. Thank you so much!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
989 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Koala

Check out the photos of the happy animals and people on the Tripadvisorsreviews of Featherdale. I enjoyed the the Reptile Park more for it's Snake/Reptile show and Featherdale more for roaming animals.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koala

There is also a Koala Sanctuary in Cherrybrook in the north-western suburbs of Sydney.