We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydeny to brisbane via blue mountains etc

London UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Sydeny to brisbane via blue mountains etc

Hello all, can't tell you how much I value this forum!

We have a week (2nd -9th Jan) to drive from Sydney to Nambour (just north of Brisbane, staying with a friend). We're wondering the best places to stop on route. I would love to do Blue Mountians then Hunter Valley then somewhere like Port Stephens or Nelson Bay...if not where would be good to spend the 3rd night and then another for the 4th night on our way up to Nambour (plan to spend 2 nights there - any advice for what do do round there other than Noosa?).

We intend to hire a car from Sydney and drop it off up in Queensland then fly back. Is this the best plan?

thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydeny to brisbane via blue mountains etc

Yes, great plan. Nelson Bay is a good place to stop, I would also suggest South West Rocks near Kempsey for a night.

Other than Noosa, lots to see in the Nambour area depending on your interests. Bushwalking, waterfalls, national parks, rainforest, mountain scenery - arts and crafts, tea houses, wildlife, Eumundi markets, country towns, pubs, Coolum cafes, etc

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,207 posts
1,445 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydeny to brisbane via blue mountains etc

hi Guzza,

have a look at the thread below, it gives you some tips along your journey.Port Stephens and Nelson are in the same region.Just a few mins from each other. I suggest you go to Cresent Head and then do the drive (coastal route to Hat Head) its really lovely.Stay overnight at the caravan cabins on the beach.If you like surfing it has a wonderful beach.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i6754-Sydney_to…

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydeny to brisbane via blue mountains etc

I did something similar to your proposal last November/December, although I had a bit more time. However, it is do-able in your time frame. I did indeed hire a car in Sydney and drop it off in Brisbane before flying to the Whitsundays (and of course later flying back to Sydney). The car hire was reasonably priced in spite of the drop-off (unlike the U.S.)

Night 1: Katoomba (Blue Mountains). There is so much to see here that I didn't get going out of the mountains until late the next day.....many little towns with lovely attractions to stop in along the way, so you need to plan to not go too far out of the mountains on your next day.

Night 2: Because you will have spent most of this day in the mountains, you won't really get very far when you start in the afternoon. Think about a place like Windsor......more of a "stopover" to put you close to Hunter Valley the next day.....getting to Hunter early to explore the region. You could drive straight through from the mountains to Hunter, but without stopping to see the sights I think you'd miss a lot. Thus you'll wind up staying, as we did, in some little town in between like Windsor.

Night 3: Hunter Valley

Night 4: Port Stephens---this is not a terribly long drive if you are hanging around in Hunter Valley in the morning. However, it will give you a longish drive the next day. Port Macquarie may be a better bet.

Night 5: Darlington Beach.

Night 6: Byron Beach area.

Night 7: Gold Coast

I think this might be a reasonable itinerary without TOO much time in the car each day so that you will have time to explore the areas.

I did review, here on Tripadvisor, the places we stayed. I think if you click on my name, "Cessnapilot", you can see the reviews. ihope this helps!

4. Re: Sydeny to brisbane via blue mountains etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 02:19