We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Sydney- mobility concerns

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln
Level Contributor
211 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Sydney- mobility concerns

We are arriving in Syney this coming Sunday 19/11 until Wednesday 22/11.

My health condition means I have to pace myself very carefully throughout the day and walking can become very painful.

We want to see as much as we can in the 3 days and am hoping someone can suggest an itinerary that wont exhaust me for the rest of our time in Australia.

I have done a lot of reading but advice is needed please.

Would bus trips, use of trains be best etc?

We are staying at Sullivans in Darlinghurst and intend to sightsee after breakfast , perhaps return to Sullivans late afternoon for shower/rest and then go out for dinner- perhaps locally?

Many thanks, Shadowstar

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Sydney- mobility concerns

Here are a few suggestions, I am sure others will help out with more to add to your collection. Firstly,I would catch a bus or taxi down to Circular Quay.

1)Do a cruise with captain cook or Matilda cruises....see all of Sydney harbour and middle harbour. - have lunch www.captaincookcruises.com.au

2)Take the hop-off bus around sydney.....just stay on the bus and take in the sights and hear the history about our beautiful city.

3)Take the rivercat up to parramatta and return to c/Quay.

4)Take the L90 bus from Wyndard Station to Palm Beach Wharf to catch the 11.00am ferry cruise of the Hawkesbury River...(beautiful).

5)do a bus tour to see the blue mountains....

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Sydney- mobility concerns

Ellemay's suggestions are all great, and there's not much that anyone could add. Follow them and you won't go wrong.

Looks like the weather is turning clear and warm just for your arrival -- it's been a mixed bag in the last few weeks!

While Sydney is a great walking city, at this time of year, it's best seen by water, and that means as long as you can get from Sullivans to Circular Quay (and there are lots of buses making that trip), then you're well-served by something like a dozen different ferry routes, several of which are ideal for seeing the best of the harbour. You don't even need to get off, if you don't want to. Definitely take the Manly (but do get off here!), Watson's Bay and Mosman ferries, and possibly the Balmain and Parramatta ones too (not much need, however, to get off at Parramatta, as the ferry wharf is a LONG walk from the Parramatta CBD).

Sydney bus drivers are very helpful and there are seats near the driver for people with mobility problems. You should mention this to him/her on boarding, in order to avoid the (rare, but not unheard-of) problem of him starting off before you're actually seated, leaving you sprawling in a most undignified manner all over the bus corridor!

Darling Harbour is nice for an easy, level walk, and there are ways to get into the Opera House without having to climb all those stairs, so do ask.

Have a great time!

Lincoln
Level Contributor
211 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Sydney- mobility concerns

Ellemay and AlanJ- thank you so much for all that advice.

I am waiting to hear back about a booking for the Blue Mountains.

Im glad you did include that Ellemay- it is what we wanted to do but wasnt sure if it would be too much.

Thrilled to bits about the hop on-off bus.

I wondered if Sydney had one- I couldnt find it mentioned in my Lonely Planet guide.

I am sure others with similar concerns will find your advice helpful.

Shadowstar

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Sydney- mobility concerns

Thanks for this post. My husband also has difficulty with walking, and we will be visiting Sydney in February, so it was good to see these suggestions. We are hoping to get opera tickets, so I am glad to hear that it's doable.

5. Re: 3 days in Sydney- mobility concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 13:15