We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a "Luxury" Apartment in Sydney for 1 year

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Renting a "Luxury" Apartment in Sydney for 1 year

I live in the UK and plan to come to Syndey on a Working Visa - so I can stay for one year.

I would like to rent a luxury apartment in a central location.

I can pay ��10,000 (UK Pound Sterling) for the year - perhaps more - up to ��25,000. I don't mind paying this much as long as I get good value.

It would be great if the following was included in the price:

- utlility bills (just for convenience)

- pool

- jacuzzi

How much money should I reserve for living expenses?

I am 24 years old.

Thank you for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a "Luxury" Apartment in Sydney for 1 year

With the budget you have you should get something very nice...you'll need to look more towards 15,000GBP if you really want luxury though.

Living expenses will very much depend on what you want to do...eating out (fine dining is around $A120pp 3 course meal) while cafe style is around $60. neither of these amounts include alcohol.

Generally most things here seem to have had the $1 sign replace a GBP, so basically whatever you spend at home divided by the current exchange rate.

eg If you currently spent 100GBP, here it will convert to around 40GBP.

The exceptions to this would be whitegoods (which you wont buy) and electricals or camera gear which are linked to the US exchange rate. Meat and fruit and veg are also much cheaper here.

My figures don't take into account extras such as touring around, and seeing the sights.

Perhaps some ex poms can give you a better idea...my comparisons are only based on a few trips to the UK, although I did use Tesco and Waitrose to buy afew essentials.

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a "Luxury" Apartment in Sydney for 1 year

Okay - thanks. I can spend ��15,000 pounds sterling.

I have tried using www.domain.com.au - are the best areas "Double Bay"?

It would be great if I could get broadband internet access as well...

Thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a "Luxury" Apartment in Sydney for 1 year

Chris,

I notice there have been other posts on this... but from your budget I'm assuming that you're here on business.

Rentals at the luxury end of town are down at the moment... I know because I've just sold a luxury apartment which I was renting out.

For my money the ABSOLUTE best place bar none for an ex-pat to stay for a year would be in the Bennelong Apartments in East Circular Quay. You could possibly get a 1-bedroom apartment here for the upper end of your budget.

You would be the envy of all your friends. Right on Circular Quay (brilliant for Rocks, Wooloomooloo, etc and only a short bus ride to Bondi for partying) and you're in pole position for the Fireworks. If you like cinema there is Dendy (art cinema) right below the apartments. Your garden is the botanical gardens and your weekend (and some weekday) nights in summer will have firework displays.

There is a 25m pool, gym and spa in the complex plus car parking. The concierges are very helpful.

You can get other good deals at Quay West, Quay Grand and, much lower down the luxury level, at all manner of the other big blocks in the City.

For a lively and bohemian lifestyle (don't read too much into the whole gay thing in Sydney, it is very civilised) then Paddington and Surrey Hills are great. Glebe is colourful and studenty, but the "posh" Eastern Suburbs locations from Double Bay to Watson's Bay are not really the place for a young guy - more couples, families. Ditto Mosman despite being a great place.

By basing yourself around Circular Quay you'll have access to everywhere very easily and be in pole position for any major events. I've lived there so can vouch for it !!

Hope this helps.

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a "Luxury" Apartment in Sydney for 1 year

I'm not here for business - just fun, though may get some work (going on a working visa for Brits)

Had a look at some photos of the apartments - they look stunning and very cheap (by UK standards where house prices have sky rocketed beyond belief).

My god, I hope to emigrate to Syndey one day - I should be able to buy a large apartment in a few years time.

For now, I may be able to rent one.

Thanks you so much!

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a "Luxury" Apartment in Sydney for 1 year

Re: 1, 3, 5 and 7 Macquarie Street (Bennelong Apartments)

OnThePoint, there is a large 3 bedroom apartment for sale for AUS $2.85million which is approx ��1.2million.

Rental appears to be AUS $850 per week for a 2 bedroom.. and there's an unfurnished 1 bedroom for $950 per week.

Not cheap - but you get what you pay for!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a "Luxury" Apartment in Sydney for 1 year

Have you won the lottery or something?! ;)

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a "Luxury" Apartment in Sydney for 1 year

The prices quoted are pretty much in line with my expectations of the rents being outrageously discounted. A 3 bedroom apartment was renting last year for about A$2.3K/week so the $850/wk for a 2 bedroom is very good. I presume this must be a gardens-side lower level (?) Even so, location, location, location.

The more expensive 1-bedder is probably either higher up or harbour view. I can't express how incredible it is each day to wake up looking directly at either the Opera house over the botanical gardens or at the Harbour Bridge. I'd go for the harbour view, personally, but the $$ are a lot different.

1,3,5 & 7 Mac. St. all share the same facilities underground (ie. gym, pool, sauna etc) but have individual entrances, lifts and concierges. Building one is the biggest, followed by 7 then 3 then the very boutique 5.

All are excellent, however.

The prices to buy are also lower now because of a flat housing market. They are a huge amount of money, but a relative bargain considering the location.