We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with NYE transport pls

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Help with NYE transport pls

Hi, we are staying in Darling Harbour (arriving on NYE) and have been invited to a friend of a friend's NYE party in Cremorne Point BUT are struggling to see how to get there for about 9pm (we are trying to meet other friends earlier in the evening in Darling Harbour!).

I've looked at ferrys but they stop at 7pm-ish!

Watertaxis are telling me they are all booked up - is that because i'm from the UK though?! They also seem to have to stop by 8pm too!

Bus is a possibility but rather a long journey it seems.

Any alternatives?

Also, return journey at about 1am!! I think I've got a watertaxi but not 100% confirmed - again any alternatives?

Apart from kip on their lawn!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,865 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with NYE transport pls

No,

all you have been told is the truth.

The harbour itself is closed from just after 8pm because of the early fireworks (9pm for families) some ferries are part of the parade of lights and some are booked just for viewing.

There are numerous road closures in the city to allow the crowds to choose vantage points (eg the cahill expressway has tickets) so bus may well not be a good alternative. The majority of peopel will be heading into the cbd not away.

one suggestion might be to catch a train over to Milsons point (or north Sydney) and hope for a taxi or perhaps someone going to the party can pick you up???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
117 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with NYE transport pls

Go by taxi. Less hassle and they know where the road closures are and can avoid them. You will be travelling against the traffic flow which will help. Allow plenty of time to call the taxi as it is a busy night for them and it may take some time before one turns up. Your return journey may be interesting if you leave Cremorne at 1am. If it is a good party I suggest staying a bit longer until the traffic eases. NYE in Sydney is big night - enjoy it.

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with NYE transport pls

Thx for the tips. I'd like to book a taxi for on the return journey - Anyone any suggestions for firms with websites/email as it's tricky to call from here!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,865 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with NYE transport pls

I like to use the Silver service taxis...mostly becuase we've found if they don't have one available they send a standard cab and you get a cab regardless (minimises the chances of not getting anything)

To book online

http://www.silverservice.com.au/index.htm

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,950 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with NYE transport pls

Even booking a taxi at 1am will be impossible. Most taxis now have preferred customers using mobile phone numbers.

You will be lucky to get a cab to Cremorne Pt at 8pm.........it simply is the busiest night of the year plus because of some of the hassle with customers some taxis work don't even work that night.

It could be busy but you could catch a bus from Wynard to Netrual Bay (get off at the Macdonalds stop) and walk down to the Point (say 15 mins down hill walk). The buses will be running.

Getting back to hotel is a different problem..........I just can't see how you will be able to get a taxi at 1-3am NY morning (anywhere in Sydney).

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with NYE transport pls

We booked a taxi twice on NYE- neither of them turned up. We found public transport excellent.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with NYE transport pls

Just stay at their place; it is light at about 5am and the transport runs on New Years Day. However you try to get back at 1am is dreadful as nearly one million people have the same idea.

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with NYE transport pls

Sorry to keep quering the same topic but we are in a real dilemma now!!

Getting to Cremorne Point seems Ok - Last ferry at 7pm-ish BUT getting back!!!!???

Unfortunately staying over is not an option AND as 2 of us have a seaplane trip on NYD we don't want to be too late (also 4 of our party are a bit older and not so good at late nights!!)

What about walking back? Apologies if this is a really stupid idea, having never been to Sydney I have no idea of distances - Any one know approx how far it is from Cremorne point to Darling Harbour and/or approx walking time?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,950 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with NYE transport pls

The walk back would take at least 1 and half hours on NYE. It's a windy up and down road to the Bridge and then you need to cross the bridge which is closed during the fireworks plus then onto Darling Harbour. And NYE can be a bit wild around this area on the night.

Frankly, if you can't stay there I can't see how you go to the party and get back at a reasonable hour.

The only other way is to catch a bus back to the city before midnight but can be sure you get on !

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with NYE transport pls

Immediately the fireworks are over take your leave and walk up the hill to military road.

catch a 144 bus to st leonards station (or similar to north sydney station)

catch a train from st leonards to town hall station

walk from town hall station to your darling harbour hote

be patient and Don't wear one of those awful vodaphone shirts.