We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Uluru

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Europe
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Topic
Sydney to Uluru

Hi Folks

I am living in Sydney and my father is coming to visit me from Ireland in Feburary. He really wants to see Uluru. Can anyone advise me what is the best way to go about this.

Would a weekend be long enough at Uluru? is it possible to get cheap flights? or can you get package weekends to Uluru

Any thoughts on helpling me to plan this trip would be most welcome

Thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Uluru

Qantas is the only airline who direct from Sydney and your best bet. Two full days should be enough to see the main sites. All I can suggest is to check the Qantas website with the exact dates to see the pricing for flights. Qantas also have some package deals at qantas.com.au/content/…syd

Otherwise try a travel agent to see if there are any package deals. Also type Uluru package deals in Google.

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Uluru

It isn't just Uluru that is the attraction out there.

I don't think 2 days is enough at all.

I would advise you not to fly directly to Ayers Rock/Yulara as the vast majority of tours that give you a complete experience depart and return to Alice Springs. While they do pick up at Yulara at Ayers Rock they do not drop you back there.

The 3 to 5 day tours will give you a much better experience than just flying in and out of Ayers Rock.

The 5 day tours return to Alice Springs via a 4WD route so you are not traveling to and from Ayers Rock via the same highway as the non 4WD tours do.

5 day tours take in Kings Canyon, Ayers Rock, The Olgas and depending on who you travel with they cross cattle stations, visit a huge meteorite crater and offer you a much broader outback experience.

Go to Yahoo and type in "Ayers Rock Trips" and you will come up with loads of ideas.

Another problem people encounter when flying directly into Ayers Rock is that most tours have a limit on how much luggage to can take on tour usually it is between 15 and 20 kilos so anyone arriving with more luggage than that has to make arrangements for the excess to be transported to Alice Spring.

It is far easier to fly into Alice Springs and arrange to leave your excess luggage at your Alice Springs accommodation.

Sydney
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Uluru

I was just informing you that you that 2 days is enough if you want to see only Ayres Rock and The Olgas on your own, obviously guided tours will need more days but it depends on your time/budget limits.

My Aunty and Uncle from the UK spent 3 nights after flying direct Ayres Rock. They saw everything and had time to relax too. They didnt do any guided tours but thats up to you. The only issue is that air fares may be quite expensive because of limited flights.

I don't see why you need to fly into Alice Springs? Why not leave your bagadge in Ayres Rock accomodation?

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Uluru

Rich in Sydney.

I did explain that the best tours depart and return to Alice Springs and that there is far more to this area than just Ayers Rock.

All of those tours will pick up at Ayers Rock but they don't drop off back at Ayers Rock so you cannot leave your luggage in your accommodation as the tours don't go back there once they have covered the rock and the Olgas.

I believe it is also cheaper to fly into Alice Springs.

Most tours stop at the Outback Camel Farm on route to the rock and after visiting the rock will move onto many other attractions.

Ayers Rock is basically a big big rock so I suppose it depends on how fascinated you are with big rocks that dictates how much time you spend there if you just fly in and fly out direct.

There is a lot more out there that is also worthwhile experiencing the rock is just one thing that takes just one day to check out.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,943 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney to Uluru

Other than agreeing that the rock itself and olgas can be done in a three night stay....many people are perfectly happy doing it that way and there is very little airfare difference between flying in and out of Ayers Rock and Alice ..

Three night stay minimises the rate voyages will charge...

I find it very interesting that the search performed on yahoo just happens to bring up Martins own booking site as the number two search result???? perhaps this is why he is pushing going in and out of Alice???

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,572 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney to Uluru

While I agree that camping tour from Alice to Uluru is great for some people and I have had a few clients who have gone with Wayoutback tours and loooved it . I would never suggest that anyone does this in February as it is very hot and lots of flies at that time of year and I am guessing that an older person coming from an Irish winter would find it quite unbearable. And you can certainly see Uluru in a weekend and most international guests will do exactly that.

And Martin until now I hadn't realised that you were a booking agent. May I suggest that if you continue to promote unsuitable tours for people such as tours to Uluru in February , or tours to Cairns or Darwin in the wet season you will end up with a lot of unhappy tourists who will go home and tell others not to visit Australia. I always find that its best to give people all of the information. Then if they find that they are not happy they have made the choice and it wont come back to bite me and have them go home bagging me or our country.

I have English clients who will be going to Cairns after Christmas. Tried to talk them out of it - but they really wanted to see the Barrier Reef. We have had much discussion and they have decided to take the risk. If they find the weather unbearable they will go home and say "well she told us but we didnt listen" If they find it quite bearable they ll just think they had a great time. Either way I wont have a public relations problem and neither will Cairns.

Sydney
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney to Uluru

Wow Martin, seems like you have given references to your own websites in previous posts too especially in QLD! Anything from the "create your own" website domain "...homestead.com".

For Martin, I would recommend the free advice that he visit the wonderful country of Unaustralia.

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney to Uluru

Coming back and reading your post you two guys have some serious issues.

I dont' have a web site. I don't have a business I am basically retired.

You two on the other hand are travel agents and do have online businesses.

Crazy rubbish.

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney to Uluru

Having lived in Alice Springs and having been to Ayers Rock in February....it is hot...but not unbearable, you just need to stay hydrated which means you carry a large bottle of water with you.

Nothing wrong with Ayers Rock in Summer apart from it is hot.

The only thing I can surmise is that neither of you have actually been to Ayers Rock in summer. Which explains why you give such bad advice.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,572 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney to Uluru

No Martin I haven't beetn to AR in February nor do i have any intention of going. Why would I when I can go at a more suitable time of year? My sister lived in AS for two years and she tells people not to go up there in summer too if they can avoid it.

I did once send a bus load of American schoolgirls there for a week because they wanted to go. It was 40 degrees every day and they were very very unhappy!!!