We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Airport Layover

Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney Airport Layover

We will have a 7 hour layover in Sydney Airport (coming from New Zealand) on our way home to the US. Any thoughts on things close to the airport to do during this time?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney Airport Layover

Sydney CBD is just about seven kilomteres from the aiprort, and with the fast trains now plying between the city and the International terminal, you can be in the midst of things in fifteen minutes. Take the train to Circular Quay Railway Station (depending on the train, this may mean a change at Central Station), and there is the best of Sydney spread out in front of you for you to see. On your left, the Harbour Bridge and "old" Sydney (the Rocks). On your right, the Opera House. Both of these less than six minutes walk from the station! Directly in front of you, half a dozen ferry wharves which can give you a tour of the harbour for a couple of dollars (you can take one of the commercial harbour cruises if you wish, but the green-and-gold commuter ferries do the job just as well, and in a day you can go in three different directions in the harbour and see something wonderful each time). You will have a great seven hours. Just don't forget the time and miss the return flight!

Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney Airport Layover

Thanks, i guess i wasn't clear. We will already have "done" Sydney 3 weeks earlier when we start our journey. So I was interested more in something off the beaten path or closer to the airport. I was thinking of hiring a driver for 4 hours but didn't know where to go.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney Airport Layover

OK, here's another suggestion.... the way I am going to describe it, you wouldn't need to hire a driver, because you could do the whole thing very cheaply by public transport.(however, of course, if you DID want to hire a driver, it could all be done more quickly).

Take the 400 Bus (blue and white) from just outside the airport gate, marked "Burwood Station". Go all the way to Burwood... the bus drops you at the station... and from there catch the Penrith train as far as Blacktown. At Blacktown Station catch a taxi for the last two kilometres to Featherdale Wildlife Park. It will take you about two hours to look through the park, and the trip each way will be another seventy minutes.

Or, take the 400 bus from the same stand, but take the one going the other way... marked "Bondi Junction". At the Bondi Junction interchange, switch buses and go to Bondi Beach. Take the coast walk from Bondi to Coogee, and then the bus from Coogee back to the city. Then the train back to the airport. Transport each way in this case would be less than an hour, and the walk itself can be done in less than two; you'd have time for some last-minute shopping before boarding the train.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,404 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney Airport Layover

If you do the bondi-coogee walk just catch a taxi back to the airport....less hassle amd much quicker as you need to catch a flight.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney Airport Layover

If you haven't previously done the southern suburbs of Sydney, you could arrange a driver and go to the National Park near waterfall, Cronulla beaches, Miranda if you need to do some shopping and then BrIghton Le sands (very close to the airport) for a farewell Australia meal

If you can tell us what sort of things appeal to you I am sure we can suggest lots of other things to do to fill in a 7 hour layover.

6. Re: Sydney Airport Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 11:20