We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monsoon Season?

Auckland Central...
1 post
Save Topic
Monsoon Season?

I am driving by campervan around Australia, starting and ending in Brisbane on Highway 1, counter-clockwise, commencing 27 November and ending 12 January. I thought all was well until a family member mentioned that the monsoon season could find me stranded up north with flooded rivers and crocs. Any information, hints, tips, encouragement, warnings would be appreciated!

Oz
Level Contributor
13,619 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monsoon Season?

Hi,

You need to be prepared to change your arrangements. Travel clockwise. Stay on sealed roads and watch the weather forecasts and road closures. You may have to miss the tropics if you start in Brisbane.

One alternative would be to start in Darwin but I suspect the one way hire fees would "make your eyes water".

Cheers,

Edited: 13 August 2013, 05:21
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monsoon Season?

It will be the monsoon season, and yes the main roads do get cut off by flooding occasionally - but it is really not as common as people make out. And it usually only lasts a day or two unless you are really unlucky.

Smaller roads are more commonly cut, and some attractions may not be accessible for the whole wet season so consider this if there is somewhere you want to see.

Having said that you are really pushing it trying to loop the whole country in that timeframe. Why not focus on areas where the weather is better and give yourself time to stop and enjoy the sites along the way.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monsoon Season?

Hi,

I would consider doing NT & Nth Qld first & then head down the coast to avoid the monsoon/ cyclone season as Nth Qld definitely has worse weather in Jan.

What is your actual itinerary ??

4. Re: Monsoon Season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Northern Territory