We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car or go with tour?

Prague, Czech...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rent a car or go with tour?

Hello,

I am planning to travel from Darwin-Alice Springs or other way round to see all important sights between. I would very appreciate if someone can advice if it is better to take tour or rent a car and go by ourselves. I will be travelling with my boyfriend and I think I have experience with planning my own trip so I am not afraid of that. but we are going in December and people advice us that we need to rent 4W car. this rental costs around 2000 AUD if I take premium insurance coverage. if I will take two tours where all the sights will be included it will cost us 2500 AUD. Can someone recommend? I have bad experience with tour from US...but private trip seems more expensive? thank you very much Ivana

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car or go with tour?

I really wouldn't plan a trip in the Top End (Darwin, Kakadu, Katherine) in December. This time of year is known as The Wet for a very good reason. Attractions will be closed; roads could be closed; and it's not going to be all that pleasant for sightseeing/travel.

The Red Center (Alice Springs, Kings Canyon and Uluru) would be "drive-able" at that time of year on the sealed roads, but it's going to be beastly hot.

The southern part of Australia would be much better to visit in December.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car or go with tour?

Many roads in Kakadu and Litchfield may actually not shut until there has been enough rain. You could be lucky and this not happen until January onwards.

You can see many of the sights in a 2wd and then get local tours once you are there ie. in Kakadu. That way you plan your own itinerary, but don't have the expense of a 4wd and the possibility of having to drive a vehicle in harder conditions than you are used to. A 4wd drive if of little use if they shut the roads into places as nobody can get in.

Camping wont be fun due to rain and humidity so better to stay in cabins or motels along the way.

How long have you allocated ?

Its a long drive 1800km to Alice Springs

If you decide to come you just need to be flexible with your itinerary.

Prague, Czech...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car or go with tour?

Hello, thanks a lot for your replies.....all ideas are very helpful. honestly most of our friends told us that it does not make sense to go up north in December and better do some trip on south. we are staying in Australia from 14 Dec - 3 January. I would love to see north and area around Alice Springs however if it does not make sense I will probably try to search for different trip on south....all ideas will be appreciated..

4. Re: Rent a car or go with tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 05:16