We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Valley and/or West MacDonnell Ranges

Ngunguru, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
Palm Valley and/or West MacDonnell Ranges

Hello fellow Travellers!

We are spending 3 nights in Alice Springs next October and have time for two tours. (We are visiting Uluru on the way down to Adelaide). I had hoped to do the afternoon ‘A Town Like Alice’ tour but we don’t arrive till 6pm on the first day. The other two tours we like the look of are the full day West MacDonnell Ranges and Palm Valley Tours. It looks like these two head into the same region, so maybe it would make more sense to just do one of them and stick with ‘A Town Like Alice.’ Please help us with some advice...

Thanks, Eileen

6 replies to this topic
Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre, Northern Territory
Level Contributor
792 posts
1,944 reviews
1. Re: Palm Valley and/or West MacDonnell Ranges

Since you are arriving so late in the afternoon, the ‘A Town Like Alice’ tour is not possible as everything will be closed by 5pm, except of course, Anzac Hill where you can enjoy the great sunset views over Alice and the West Mac’s.

This is easily accessible from most of the accommodations, but only close to the centre of town.

The West McDonnell ranges tour is well worth the experience in visiting the vast range of gorges, indigenous culture, walks and swimming holes.

Both Emu Run and Alice Wanderer are good examples, as we have booked friends and family in the past on these tours, but others are available.

alicewanderer.com.au/tours/west-macdonnell-r…

emurun.com.au/1-day-west-macdonnell-ranges-t…

These are full day itineraries with a hotel pick up.

Although you state Palm Valley is within the same region, you cannot do both tours within one day.

You will need to book a second tour separately on day two, but it’s also definitely well worth the visit.

Try these links for starters.

traveloutbackaustralia.com/outback-destinati…

https:/…palm-valley.html

Ngunguru, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Palm Valley and/or West MacDonnell Ranges

Thank you for this information. We are now booked on both tours and will catch the sunset when we arrive!

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre, Northern Territory
Level Contributor
792 posts
1,944 reviews
3. Re: Palm Valley and/or West MacDonnell Ranges

Your welcome, LondonKiwiinlondon.

Although it's almost a year away,

Please post a new thread on your experience after your holiday to help future travellers.

All the best.

1 post
4. Re: Palm Valley and/or West MacDonnell Ranges

Hi,

I read you went on Palm Valley and MacDonnell Ranges tours last year. I will have only one day and need to pick one of those two. Can you please recommend which one was for some reason better then the other. thank you!

Ngunguru, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Palm Valley and/or West MacDonnell Ranges

Ah sorry, we haven’t been yet - we go this October:). Good luck with your planning. From what I’ve read, if I could do only 1 tour I’d do the West MacDonnell Ranges, but others more experienced may suggest differently.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,096 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Palm Valley and/or West MacDonnell Ranges

Yes- they are very different tours. For a better view if the area and the geography , i woukd fo west mac tour. But it depends what your intetests are.

Reply to: Palm Valley and/or West MacDonnell Ranges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted