We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glen Helen Gorge to Kings Canyon help?

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Glen Helen Gorge to Kings Canyon help?

Hi I think I am having a moment and can't seem to find the distance from Glen Helen Gorge to KC without going the Mereenie Loop can anyone that has driven that route please let me know

Sorry to be a pain

We are driving AS to Adelaide so if you can advise your route I would appreciate you

Thank you

2 replies to this topic
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Glen Helen Gorge to Kings Canyon help?

On the bitumen, you need to head west to Glen Helen from Alice, then back out through Alice, south on the Stuart Highway to Erldunda, then west via the Lasseter Highway toward Curtin Springs and north to Kings Canyon. It's over 600km from Glen Helen to Kings Canyon that way.

The direct route from Glen Helen to Kings Canyon is the gravel Mereenie Loop road. It's about 200km.

The Mereenie Loop Road crosses through aboriginal land - which requires a permit, which is only a few dollars from either the "shop" at Glen Helen or Alice Springs Tourist Info Centre (or the service station at Kings Canyon if coming north.

If you are in a rental car, you MUST have a 4WD. All the rental companies prohibit 2WDs. If in your own car, you could do it with a 2wd slowly. It is big, chunky gravel, with corrugations and drifts of stones on the sweeping corners.

Edited: 01 September 2018, 01:04
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Glen Helen Gorge to Kings Canyon help?

Yep- about 600km for the sealed road way as above.

Its a whole day drive this way. It would be a shame to miss Hermansburg on your way to KC.

Reply to: Glen Helen Gorge to Kings Canyon help?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted