We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kangaroos

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Kangaroos

As a foreign visitor, I am keen to view kangaroos in the wild during my upcoming visit to Australia in November. I will be visiting Sydney, the Red Centre and Far North Queensland and it seems Alice Springs would be the best, if not only, opportunity to see kangaroos in the wild.

Can anyone recommend the best places and times to see wild kangaroos near Alice Springs? I understand wild is wild and that means no guarantees, but just looking for insider tips!

10 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,332 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Kangaroos

You only need to come Canberra "The capital' There are plenty to see at the moment.

Good Luck

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,921 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Kangaroos

There's a widespread drought at the moment, so kangaroos are coming into populated places in search of green grass. As JohnListon says, they're plentiful in Canberra and you should have no problem seeing them at Alice near places like Lasseter's Hotel, which borders the edge of town, early in the morning and late afternoon, especially where there is greenish grass.

Edited: 13 September 2018, 00:51
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
96 reviews
3. Re: Kangaroos

One was seen in the Sydney suburb of Oatley yesterday, and I see them every morning alongside Peter Brock Drive in the outer western Sydney suburb of Eastern Creek.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
90 reviews
4. Re: Kangaroos

You're probably better off looking for them near Sydney. They are usually active dawn and dusk, but with the drought, who knows?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Kangaroos

You’ll see a different type of Roo in Alice as opposed to Sydney, in Alice it will be he huge Red Kangaroos while in Sydney they will be the smaller eastern grey kangaroos. Id try see both of you can as they’re quite different.

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,182 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Kangaroos

Are you doing any regional day trips while in Sydney? You probably won't see any wild ones in the city centre ( abc.net.au/news/…9332050 ) but they like bushland even in proximity to suburbs and also golf courses. And you can see a few varieties of kangaroos at Taronga Zoo.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
2,021 reviews
7. Re: Kangaroos

When in Alice consider visiting the Kangaroo Sanctuary. You will see plenty around Alice especially if u venture out to the West Macdonnell Ranges.

https://kangaroosanctuary.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
688 posts
101 reviews
8. Re: Kangaroos

Not a kangaroo, but seeing black footed rock wallaby is possible at Simpson Gap

https:/…simpsons-gap-fact-sheet-and-map.pdf

Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
9. Re: Kangaroos

Alice Springs Telegraph Station is a sure bet to soo Roos lazing away under the mulga

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,068 posts
94 reviews
10. Re: Kangaroos

Are they there often ? I have never seen any.

Reply to: Kangaroos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted