We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Valley

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Valley

Hi My parents in there 60's thought that Palm Valley is not worth going to. Stated the roads are hideous. We don't have a 4WD so would have to go as part of a formal tour. We are planning on driving ourselves to Kings Canyon and both Eastern and Western MacDonnell ranges. Do we skip Palm valley?

melbourne
Level Contributor
256 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Valley

I went to Palm Valley on a 4WD bus trip about 15 years ago. While it was an ok day trip, I would agree that given the other places that you are visiting, I would not call it a must see place.

Alice Springs
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Valley

Palm Valley is an amazing place and is a must see and do if visiting the alice. Generally pick ups commence from 0700 onwards and returns you back to your hotel at approximatel 5pm. It has some of the oldest and rarest palms in the world. Yes, It is a 4 4WD track, but the drivers who conduct the tours do a pretty good job. some of the rock formations are amazing - You will not regret it. Just make sure you come at the right time of year as it gets pretty warm in the summer. I suggest doing some research on the net and have a look at the images.......best of luck

Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Valley

I did a 4WD trip to Palm Valley from the southern end of the Finke National Park. The drive up through the Finke Gorge is amazing and the various permanent waterholes such as Boggy Hole are really attractive. There is some heavy duty 4WD sections including deep sand which is easy to get bogged in. We went on a tagalong tour with a really experienced guide and were driving very fancy 4WD vehicles so it was not the everyday sort of trip. Anyway, I found Palm Valley interesting and curious and considering it can be reached fairly easily from Alice Springs it isnt a bad idea. You definitely need a high clearance 4WD (Landcruiser or Patrol) to get right in there. Just head for Hermannsburg on Larapinta Drive. About 130km of sealed road west of Alice Springs. I think there may still be the odd tour going there, but a lot of small operators in the Centre have folded. Personally I think you would get more out of the West Macs than Palm Valley. Its really one or the other. The drive you are planning on doing is called the Red Centre Way. Check out this interactive website travelnt.com/en/…red-centre-way.htm

West Macs can be done as a day tour out of Alice Springs or on the way. Driving to Kings Canyon without 4WD means going the long way (about 500km from Alice). It might be worth considering hiring a 4WD. A tour that would cover all this would cost over $1000 for two of you or about the same cost as 5 days hire and fuel for a large 4WD. You dont have to be the Leyland Brothers to do it. In fact it is common to see German or French families straight off the plane driving the Red Centre Way. Generally people who live on the other side of the world are better informed and less scared of the outback than half the people in Sydney. A handy tip would be to fly into Ayers Rock from Sydney (2 flights daily) and get a one way rental from there to Alice Springs. There is a lot of one way traffic the other way and the hire car companies have to truck a lot of cars back to Alice Springs from the rock. Some times you can get away with just paying the insurance as trucking costs the hire car companies about $400 per vehicle. Call the Alice Springs offices of the majors like Hertz, Avis, Europcar etc. Once in Alice there are daily flights to Sydney. Tiger Airways www.tigerairways.com will start flying from Melbourne to Alice Springs soon for about $40! Might be worth considering.

4. Re: Palm Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 17:20