We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alice Springs to Airlie Beach? Possible? Completely Mad?

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alice Springs to Airlie Beach? Possible? Completely Mad?

Hi everyone,

I am hoping for a bit of advice!

My boy/f and i are going to be travelling round Australia for a couple of weeks in November. We are starting in Sydney ( and actually flying home from there too) then we are thinking of flying over to Alice Springs to do a tour of the Northern Territory.

My problem is that from there we were thinking of going over to Airlie Beach and i'm having trouble working out firstly what the best/most suitable way of doing it would be, and secondly if it's just too hard and i'm completely mad!

I'm assuming you can't fly from Alice Springs to Proserpine, as i can't find anything, so should we fly to Cairns and then drive down to Airlie Beach?

Is there any other way of getting there? we are a bit time constricted in that we only have around two weeks to do everthing we would like! Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Tailormade Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Earth Sanctuary
Sightseeing Tours
Outback Elite Tours
Multi-day Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alice Springs to Airlie Beach? Possible? Completely Mad?

Go via Cairns. There's loads of things you can do there. Then you can either drive down to Airlie or fly.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Queensland...
Level Contributor
309 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alice Springs to Airlie Beach? Possible? Completely Mad?

gidday there!

Yes you will be time constrained! (But it doesn't mean you don't do it ..)

You can fly from the Alice to Cairns or Brisbane. From Cairns to Airlie it is at least an 8 hour drive south through the sugar cane fields and fairly interesting country. The roads can be tricky though - older narrower and sometimes not quite for the inexperienced driver .. From Brisbane you can fly to Proserpine.

I get the feeling that you may be somewhat surprised about the distances between places in Australia - it is a huge country!

It isn't too hard and you're not mad, but be aware that flying is going to allow you the time to get from A to B quicker than driving, but at the expense of not seeing much of the country.

This is how I would travel from place to place - From Alice, fly to Cairns, drive to Airlie, drive to Proserpine, fly to Brisbane, drive to the Gold Coast (about 1 hour south of Brissy) fly Gold Coast to Sydney. Either Virgin, Jetstar have several flights each day.

If you do have the time to spend a day/night on the goldy, you can drive about 1 hour South of Coolangatta to Byron Bay - the road follows the coast by and large and you can see a little bit of New South Wales as well!

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Byron Bay
Byron Bay
Byron Shire, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alice Springs to Airlie Beach? Possible? Completely Mad?

Jettett is right on the money and I can only endorse the advice given. Unless you really like a long, long, long drive with not a lot to look at (Alice to the coast), fly to Cairns and wash away the dust of the Red Centre before heading further south.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,692 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alice Springs to Airlie Beach? Possible? Completely Mad?

great advice already given so just adding another suggestion for your itinerary.

1. Fly Uluru (Ayers Rock) from Sydney.

2. Fly Ayers Rock to Alice Springs.

3. Fly - Alice Springs to Cairns.

4. Fly - Cairns to Hamilton Island. (Whitsundays/ Airlie).

5. Fly HI or Proserpine to Sydney for your flight home.

Domestic Airlines.

www.qantas.com.au www.jetstar.com.au www.virginblue.com.au

Flight durations :

Sydney to AR - 3hrs.35mins

AR - Alice - 50mins

Alice - Cairns - 2hr 5mins

Cairns - Hamilton Island - 1hour.

Hamilton Island - Sydney 2hrs 25mins.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
5. Re: Alice Springs to Airlie Beach? Possible? Completely Mad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 12:31