We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asp to Ayers Rock (no 4WD)

Which Alice Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA, USA
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Asp to Ayers Rock (no 4WD)

We are driving from Alice Spings to Ayers Rock. Is it required to drive only 4WD vehicle between ASP and Ayers. I booked only full size car (Holden or something). We are 4 adults travelling in that car.

Any suggestions?. How is the road conditions or how long does it take?

thanks

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asp to Ayers Rock (no 4WD)

No problem travelling between Alice Springs and Uluru in a 2WD car. It's sealed road all the way.

We travelled in two stages Yulara to Kings Canyon, then Kings Canyon to the Alice. It was raining all the way both trips so that may have slowed us down a bit, and these two stages back track a bit.....all in all I'd guess allow at least 5 hrs. You'll need to stop and take a break every so often for safety's sake.

Alice Springs...
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asp to Ayers Rock (no 4WD)

Hi,

No problems with regular car as long as you are on the highway,

you didn't mention what time of the year you were travelling, good road surface but it is a long way ( approx 500kls ) and the road temperature gets very hot November onwards, so good tyres are a must, also advise to travel after dawn and before dusk as this is when the kangaroo's are up and going, they do not have any road sense also some cattle. check hotel tariffs before you go as they are very expense ( to expensive i think ) they have great camping facilities, take mosquito replellent and fly nets with you.

Hope this helps and have afab trip.

Kind regards,

Tracey