We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alice springs accomodation

Vancouver
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alice springs accomodation

Hi, I'm a 20 something female going solo to Alice Springs sometime in May/June. Anybody have any advice on where to stay? I heard Alice's Secret is pretty good. I'm concerned about safety and prices.

Also, I'm looking into a tour to Uluru. I'm leaning towards WayWard Bus, but they don't want big packs on the bus. Any ideas on where to stash it for the tour? Or any other suggestions on tour companies? Thanx.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alice springs accomodation

Wayward Bus do a pretty good job.I have booked a number of clients wiht them.

None of the tour companies will be happy about a big pack. Two reasons- one they only have one driver guide and sometimes they are women so not happy about heaving packs about and two they have to carry all food water, tents etc as well as luggage for everyone in one trailer.

Do you really need a big pack? Remember you will have to carry it.

Are you planning to return to AS after your tour? If so your hotel will most likely keep any extra luggage for you until you return.

In AS Melanka Lodge is pretty central, inexpensive and quite good. They have motels rooms as well as dorms.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alice springs accomodation

I don't necessarily need a big pack for the tour, but I'll be in oz for 5 months, so thats the way I'll be travelling. Kinda have no choice in that regards.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alice springs accomodation

Well this year we traveled in South America for three months including both the Antarctic and equatorial areas of Brazil and although I didn't skimp on clothes (including thermals etc) I found 65 litres of luggage space to be more than adequate. You should only need a bigger pack if you are carrying tents, bedding, stoves etc.

Alice Springs...
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alice springs accomodation

Yep,

Melanka Lodge ( mainly young travellers) it is a great place to meet people and prob the best as it is inexpensive and very cental to every thing also has night club, it is very safe in Alice but as always when travelling common sense prevails, do NOT walk anywhere alone @ night.WayWard tours are a very good tour to go with.

Cheers,

Tracey.

Alice Springs,

N.T

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alice springs accomodation

We stayed a couple of nights in the Alice Plaza Hotel, which is part of the Melanka complex (though they don't tell you that in the tourist brochures). We moved to the Novotel after the two nights, as did at least 5 other parties when we were there to our certain knowledge. Then they have the hide to charge you a penalty of one nights accommodation for leaving. I'd have no problem with that where it's just your own whim, but when you're leaving because of the inadequacy of the facilities and constant fire alarms it's a bit much. Only value of staying at this place was the amusing bad accommodation anecdotes we left with. Cost us a a day in organising alternate accommodation through our agent company and recovering from the severe fatigue from inadequate sleep. I did post a detailed review with photos, so suggest you have a look at that. The Aurora seems a better option if you're wanting a central location, certainly a friend who stayed there recently said they were very comfortable there.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alice springs accomodation

well Snodge I guess it depends on what your expectations are, your budget etc. I have had clients who have been very happy at melanka and have stayed there myself when on a tight budget and and was quite happy. It is not five star and is certainly geared to the younger low budget market.

I suspect that fire alarms going off is not a perennial problem and you were probably unlucky with that. That sort of thing can happen anywhere.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alice springs accomodation

I definately have to say do NOT stay at the Alice on Todd or any of those places in that area. We didn't have fire alarms but my goodness the birds are just awful. Nesting parrots everywhere. Plus the hotel didn't clean much of anything including the pool. It was a good thing we only had to stay there 2 night or we would have changed hotels. The location was a bit shady it was in not that great of a residential neighborhood.I didn't feel that safe at night there but at least I was with others. And the staff wasn't that friendly or there half the time. I love this web site but I have been also using backpackers.com for a lot of info as well. Good info for people going solo like yourself.