We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire/purchase cooler, picnic chairs and satelitephone Alice?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
400 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Hire/purchase cooler, picnic chairs and satelitephone Alice?

Dear travel friends

A last question from my side before we head off "Down Under" in a few days. We'll be doing a 8-day drive-self tour of The Red Center and have hired a 4WD and will be driving a cicle starting off with the MacDonell Ranges, on to Kings Canyon, out to Ayers and back via Curtin Springs Cattlestation. Accommodation will be a mix of budget motel rooms and camping cabins at which sites our major meals will likewise be taken. However, we do enjoy making our own picnic lunches and driving in the outback we will need to bring quite a bit of water and beverages along - plus wine for the nights :-) - hence we shall no doubt be in need of a cooler. Having, however, just asked our car rental company of the possibility of renting an electric cooler for the car plus some chairs and possibly a sateline phone with them, we were told that no such items were for hire. That leaves us with no other option than to purchase, we suppose - or do you know, if there is a place in Alice Springs, were we could rent some of it? In any case, where would you suggest us to go looking/shopping for these items in Alice Springs? Your comments/suggestions much appreciated - thank you.

Kind regards - PURPLE

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire/purchase cooler, picnic chairs and satelitephone Alice?

You can buy coolers & picnic stuff at Big W and Target in Aluce Springs.

Not sure about the plug in coolers, but an esky ( polystyrene box) and cold bricks if you have time to freeze them overnight, or a bag of ice from bottle shop or service station would do the job at a fraction of the cost.

Supermarkets for fresh, deli & bakery provisions

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
400 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire/purchase cooler, picnic chairs and satelitephone Alice?

Thank you Bokhara for your comment and info. Much appreciated :-). You are right - it is probably much cheaper and hopefully workable to purchase a polystyrene box and try to keep it cold one way or another. We'll consider that and see what "Big W and Target" has to offer, once we are there. We are just looking for the cheapest solution in these respects - as we shall have to dump it all again in Alice Springs Airport a week later as we cannot carry it on to Queensland for our remaining holiday or bring it back home with us. Maybe we should make a quick "flee market" at Alice Airport in front of our car hire company in order for new arriving guests ;-)...

Once again thanks so much for having taken time to write to me and all the best - PURPLE

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire/purchase cooler, picnic chairs and satelitephone Alice?

You're welcome, Purple. Eskies are a cheap, light way of keeping foods cool - very popular here & in New Zealand where they're called," Chilly Bins".

I usually leave any picnic & camping items with a local charity when I leave a town. St Vincent de Paul ("Vinnies") is at 38 Railway Street, Alice Springs. They'd be delighted to have yours, too.

Hope you have a wonderful trip - make sure you make time to visit Desert Park, the School of the Air the first Hospital ( just off Todd Mall), & the Cultural Precinct.

These will give you an idea of how the early & current settlers in this remote area live, and a glimpse of some amazing wildlife that you wouldn't ordinarily see. The Birds of Prey show at Desert Park is really something special.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,757 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire/purchase cooler, picnic chairs and satelitephone Alice?

"...usually leave any picnic & camping items with a local charity when I leave a town. St Vincent de Paul ("Vinnies") is at 38 Railway Street, Alice Springs. "

So perhaps Purple could endeavour to purchase their requirements there, too?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
400 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire/purchase cooler, picnic chairs and satelitephone Alice?

Thank you Bokhara for your comments. Once again much appreciated :-). Great idea of leaving the picnic gear with a local charity org. upon dep. from the desert. Have duly noted the suggested address. Do not know if we'll make into town (Alice) before continuing on as we'll be driving directly from Yulara to Alice Springs Airport on our departure day. Also thanks for the recommendations for sights not to be missed in Alice. We are indeed looking forward to visit the School of Air, which we've heard so much about. So different from here and absolutely interesting to learn about the tough life in this remote part of the country. Down the same line we have booked accommodation at the Curtin Springs Cattlestation near Ayers rather than the touristic facilities offered in the hope of getting a chat with the owners of this old homestead. We enjoy very much the authentic experiences.

PerthiteOZ - sounds like a thought to try out. We'll pop by this charity org. to see if they should have the picnic chairs and similar stuff at a reasonable price and then bring it back to them afterwards if possible. Might just work out :-). Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.

Best wishes - PURPLE

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire/purchase cooler, picnic chairs and satelitephone Alice?

Check out Alice Camp and Hire http://www.alicecampndrive.com/

and there is also another place I have seen mentioned previously but can't remember the name of the place. I would also check out Cash Converters a second hand place, in Darwin there are alot of backpackers who drop off items there too.

Lou

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hire/purchase cooler, picnic chairs and satelitephone Alice?

I would also email to Central Australian Tourism as they have a link to hire items but it isn't working, maybe they could tell you the detail via email.

centralaustraliantourism.com/Sights_To_See/

I wouldn't worry about an electric fridge (Engel) as unless you have a second battery fitted to your vehicle the fridge will drain the battery fairly quickly and you will find that you can't start your vehicle in the morning.

I wouldn't worry about a satellite phone either as there will be plenty of passers if you are on the main roads.

Lou

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
400 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hire/purchase cooler, picnic chairs and satelitephone Alice?

Lou - thanks again a million for your message. You seem to know your state pretty well :-). Seems like Alice Camp and Hire do have exactly what we are looking for, so we'll definitely pay them a visit. As to the cooler, you are no doubt right, that it is no good idea to get hold of an electric one for several reasons, so we'll go for an "Eskie" and fill it up with ice from gas stations/lodges enroute. OK have noted, that you don't think a satelite phone will be necessary although we do realize that at a lot of places we cannot count on using our cellphones. Hopefully, we won't need any assistance at all - but, in case, it's nice to know that you think we'll meet sufficient other cars to get help. We'll cross fingers for that. Thanks again for taking the time to write me with useful info. Have a good day. All the best - PURPLE

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hire/purchase cooler, picnic chairs and satelitephone Alice?

Not a problem at all- thanks for the compliment. My hubby is super safety conscious and we have hired satellite phones before (very expensive) and never used them.

10. Re: Hire/purchase cooler, picnic chairs and satelitephone Alice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 02:17