We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alice Springs to Cairns - 14th Nov - how?

Vienna, Wien...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Alice Springs to Cairns - 14th Nov - how?

Hi,

My girlfriend & I are planning on travelling from Alice Springs to Cairns and then working our way down the East Coast. We'll be leaving Alice Springs around 14th November and our looking into options how to get to Cairns.

I thought Greyhound had a route that way but their website tells me otherwise. I've also looked into flights but can't find cheaper than around $400 each.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,735 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alice Springs to Cairns - 14th Nov - how?

Fly.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
759 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alice Springs to Cairns - 14th Nov - how?

as it is not a popular route flights will be expensive at around $400 each as youve said.

i dont know if it fits with other things you want to do, but maybe you could fly to sydney or melbourne and drive up the east coast to cairns? flights would be a little cheaper then

Vienna, Wien...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alice Springs to Cairns - 14th Nov - how?

Thanks. We're actually flying out from Sydney at the end of it all hence us wanting to work our way down from Cairns to there, and we're starting the trip in Melbourne so would rather not go back there and then back up. If flying at that price is our only option I guess we'll have to do that, but we met people who I'm sure told us they went by coach...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,207 posts
1,445 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alice Springs to Cairns - 14th Nov - how?

This may help.

alicent.com.au/2011/…

For additional info on Uluru

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alice Springs to Cairns - 14th Nov - how?

I had a look on Greyhound and I'm not sure that you can book direct from Alice to Cairns. I looked at Alice > Tennant Creek, then Tennant Creek > Mt Isa, then Mt Isa > Cairns, and it came up with options. I think you would need to change buses quite often. The portion from Mt Isa > Cairns took 22 hours and was $250.

I would definitely fly unless you had time to hire a camper or similar, but to be honest there is a lot of nothing in between Alice and Mt Isa.

Lou

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,288 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alice Springs to Cairns - 14th Nov - how?

That is a loooong way. i've done it by bus and by air. Do yourselves a favour - fly. $400 doesn't sound that unreasonable for the distance traveled.

7. Re: Alice Springs to Cairns - 14th Nov - how?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2013, 10:16