We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Budget Trip to Uluru

Which Alice Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newtonmore, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Budget Trip to Uluru

Help! I would like to take my daughter to Uluru for her 21st. She is currently studying at Melbourne Uni. We have only a long weekend to do this, flying up Friday and returning Monday.

Should we fly to Ayres Rock? Expensive option and all flights seem to go via Sydney. OR

Should we fly to Alice Springs, cheaper but not so close?

Can anyone recommend any tour operator who will take us round Uluru on the Saturday, camp out (tent or swag) to watch the sunset and then rise? What shoukd we not miss on our short trip? And is it really do-able?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,308 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Budget Trip to Uluru

Some flights go to Uluru from MEL via Alice Springs.

Edited: 24 January 2013, 21:58
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,539 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Budget Trip to Uluru

I guess it *could* be done in a weekend, but my question is why would you go so far to just see one sight (Uluru) when there is so much more to see in the area? Why not leave the trip and do it when you have more time to explore the magnificence of the Kata Tjuta National Park?

It's a long way from Melbourne, expensive to get to and you'll be spending a lot of the time traveling.

If you fly to Alice, then you can add 4+ hours on the road at each end. I'd say in just a long weekend this isn't really an option.

Qantas are currently offering a 4 night Uluru short break deal that may interest you:

qantas.com.au/travel/…uluru-short-break

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Budget Trip to Uluru

I'm not sure that there is anything budget about a quick trip to Uluru. People make trips to Uluru cheaper by camping and driving themselves. You could still do the permanent tent thing to get the price down but the quickest way to get there for a weekend would be to fly direct to Uluru. Otherwise fly to Alice and get a 2 day bus trip out but its still a long drive. Lou

Oz
Level Contributor
11,453 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Budget Trip to Uluru

Hi,

The terms Budget (unless you mean a large one), flying and Uluru are mutually exclusive. Don't be put off a trip to Uluru Kata-Juta is worth twice what it costs :-)

Cheers,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Budget Trip to Uluru

maybe rethink and try for a week trip. It can be expensive may as well make it worth it and see more

Newtonmore, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Budget Trip to Uluru

Thanks for all your replies some of which made me chuckle (Uluru and budget mutually exclusive).

Unfortunately or time is limited due to my daughter's heavy work load doing her joint honours degree at Uni, the timing of my visit and her 21st birthday. Would love to have had more time.

However, have had a look at the Quantas offer and may go ahead with that.

Thanks for all your assistance.

7. Re: Flying Budget Trip to Uluru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 06:19