We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

campervan Alice Springs to Ayers Rock

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
campervan Alice Springs to Ayers Rock

We are planning to travel to Ayers Rock by campervan from Alice Springs and back in September taking 4-5days .We want to see sunset and sunrise at Uluru Sept 8th and 9th but could bring forward by a day and have a number of questions which I wonder if anyone can advise on please:

- do we have to reserve a 4 berth 4WD campervan beforehand

- what about bedding

- do we have to reserve campsites, if so any suggestions as to where to aim for each day as I have no awareness of distances

Is it worth booking anything to do at Ayers Rock ( its Mums retirement birthday on the 9th so we want to make it special but she would be perfectly content with a decent campsite with barbeque!)

Many thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: campervan Alice Springs to Ayers Rock

We hired a Britz campervan in Alice several years ago in July and pre booked.

We drove from Alice to Uluru in a day and stayed at a pre booked site.

Definitely spend time at the Cultural Centre to gain some insight of the area, owners and culture.

You can visit Kata Tjuta from Uluru for short/long walks and good viewing of both Kata Tjuta and Uluru. Sunset of Uluru is magical. There are very informative walks and talks from Cultural Centre.

We drove to Kings Canyon, stayed a couple of nights, more good walks.

Drove back to Alice in a day.

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: campervan Alice Springs to Ayers Rock

Sounds like it will be a wonderful family trip!

Generally it's best to book a campervan in advance because they can get pretty expensive if booked last minute. Same goes for the campsites, just to ensure that you get a space. Most 4WDs will come with bedding, especially if booking with full insurance.

Alice Springs
Level Contributor
141 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: campervan Alice Springs to Ayers Rock

Many visitors to Yulara seem to book the Sounds of Silence (hope I got that right) but if your mum is happy with a bbq at the campground, maybe stick with that. As above, I recommend you book the vehicle and camp ground earlier.

4. Re: campervan Alice Springs to Ayers Rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 05:17