We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Alice Springs to Kings Canyon

New Jersey
Level Contributor
787 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip Alice Springs to Kings Canyon

Does anyone know of a one day tour from Alice Springs to Kings Canyon and return to Alice Springs?

Emu will not offer this tour in 2014.

Adventure Tours Australia
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Emu Run Experience - Day Tours
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Outback Elite Tours
Multi-day Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Alice Wanderer Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,468 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Alice Springs to Kings Canyon

I'm not sure they even have Day Tours from Alice. I know they do from Uluru, but from Alice, I think they're only transfers - drop in drop off pickup drive off. Its too far for a day trip.

Definitely know AAT Kings do the transfers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Alice Springs to Kings Canyon

Some years ago I did an Uluru-Kings Canyon-Alice Springs run with AAT. It was something like a 5.00am start.

At that time they had buses from each direction meeting up at Kings Canyon late morning with something like a 4 hour stay. If they still do this you should be able to arrange to go out from Alice Springs in the morning and return on the other bus in the afternoon. You should contact them ask if they will arrange this.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,582 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Alice Springs to Kings Canyon

Are you going anywhere else in the region? Typically people stop off at Kings Canyon (I would recommend overnight) on the trip between Alice Springs and Uluru.

You could hire a car for a day to do the trip, but I wouldn't really recommend it due to the distances involved.

Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
15,129 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip Alice Springs to Kings Canyon

When are you coming to Alice Springs? If it is in summer, a day tour would not be a good idea anyway. It would be already hot when you arrive and quite hot for doing the rim walk, the only reason most people come to Kings Canyon for. The heat would not bother me, but it seems to bother most people. You would have to carry quite a bit of water if you are doing it on a hot day.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip Alice Springs to Kings Canyon

I looked into the day trip issue back in October or November. For some reason I thought Kings Canyon was closer to Alice Springs than Ayers Rock (Canadian ignorance!). Turned out the opposite is true. If you're going to Ayers Rock, there are tours from there, or rent a car. That's what we're planning, at any rate.

6. Re: Day Trip Alice Springs to Kings Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:17