We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport from Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock

Brighton
Level Contributor
173 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport from Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock

Hi there

I'm flying into Alice Springs and out of Ayes Rock and along the way I would like to visit Kings Canyon. I can find a number of tours that do this, but all the good ones go back to Alice Springs. So, if I were to hop off at Kings Canyon on the way back, how easy would it be to get public transport (or any transport) back to Ayers Rock?

Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,500 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport from Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock

Not at all easy.

Your best option would be to speak to the tour company to link up with a subsequent tour to get onward transport to Uluru.

Luigi

Brighton
Level Contributor
173 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport from Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock

Oh, ok. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport from Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock

The tour I did started from Alice Springs, stopped at Kings Canyon on the way to Uluru and allowed plenty of time for walking up to the rim of the canyon & back.

You could just do one-way with a tour. They may or may not give you a discount for the unused return leg.

Find a tour with that configuration & speak with them about hopping off at Uluru.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,054 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport from Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock

AAT Kings used to do transfers, you get a bit of commentary and can stay overnight then hook up again to go to Uluru.

Contact them, they may not have it as an option any more.

Brighton
Level Contributor
173 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport from Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock

I have been looking for a decent Alice - Kings Canyon - Uluru tour for a while now and I think I have looked at every company in Australia (including AAT). But just about every company does Kings Canyon last, which causes problems for getting back to Uluru - and even if I could they would get me back too late for my pm flight.

So, I am thinking about getting a transfer to Uluru and then doing day trips from there instead. Should be ok, I think.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,500 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport from Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock

Back to your first question, this is called a "tour", but it's what Guruswife was talking about. And not cheap, but it runs every day: www.aatkings.com.au/au/tour.php?tour_code=Y22

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport from Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock

What about hiring a rental car & doing your own thing ??? Its very easy to drive as the roads are all sealed with limited traffic.

For additional info -

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

Gladesville...
Level Contributor
184 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport from Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock

Hire a car & do it all at your own pace. We just did it ourselves & it was easy with the roads in such good condition.

9. Re: Public transport from Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Kings Canyon