We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uluru to Kings Canyon - When to do the Rim Tour

Which Kings Canyon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Uluru to Kings Canyon - When to do the Rim Tour

Hi,

We are traveling to Kings Canyon from Uluru and staying 1 night at Kings Canyon Resort. The problem is that we have to be back at Uluru at 12:30pm (1:45 flight). So do we:

1) Wake up very early at Uluru and drive to Kings Canyon and do the rim walk. Then check in to the hotel, stay the night then drive back the following day?

2) Or do we drive at a leisurely place to Kings Canyon and go directly to the hotel. Next morning wake up early, do the rim walk - then drive to Uluru at 8:30am for our flight home?

We are travelling over Easter.

Thanks in advance for your help. Unfortunately, we are limited on days and pre-booked our nights stay therefore we are unable to stay longer at Kings Canyon.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 05:42
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,523 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uluru to Kings Canyon - When to do the Rim Tour

Ideally it's a combination of the two - leisurely travel, stay over night, do the rim walk at the crack of dawn (or get there just before sunrise), then a leisurely drive back, stay the night and fly out the next day. I only include the stay the night at Uluru on your return, to prevent manic panic driving to get to a flight (and allow time to freshen up, pack and for any unforeseen delays).

But of the two options, travelling over Easter, I'd go Option 1.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 07:29
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,106 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uluru to Kings Canyon - When to do the Rim Tour

I agree that KVE's option is the preferred one.

If you can't do that, only the first of your own options is viable.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uluru to Kings Canyon - When to do the Rim Tour

Option 1 (unless you can change your booking as suggested). Far too rushed and therefore potentially dangerous to try and do the walk and drive to Uluru in half a day.

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uluru to Kings Canyon - When to do the Rim Tour

Thanks all. We'll have to. do option 1

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uluru to Kings Canyon - When to do the Rim Tour

I wouldn't stay at Kings Canyon resort that night. I wouldn't even call it a resort. It is quite ordinary. I would drive back the same day after the rim walk. It makes it a long day, but at least you have a more relaxing morning the day you fly out.

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uluru to Kings Canyon - When to do the Rim Tour

Hi,

Just reading all the posts about driving in the dark and it's a little worrying even though the coaches do it at 5am from Uluru (of course they are a lot bigger than a small rental car)! The weather forecast mentions the temp will be around 29c on 21st April. Would it be ok to drive up in the morning around 6:30-7am from Uluru then check in to the hotel, relax, swim etc. Then at ~3pm do the rim walk? Or should I get going at 5am from Uluru and do the walk before 9am? We are happy getting breakfast at IGA and having a very quick pit stop along the way somewhere.

We are pretty fit and have a 12 and 9 year old in tow.

I have already booked the hotel at Kings Canyon and can not cancel. Therefore, I am stuck with staying the night. In hindsight I would have done things differently but over Easter I had to be quick to get the flights etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,106 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uluru to Kings Canyon - When to do the Rim Tour

You need to be doing the rim walk as early as possible in the day, rather than saving it up and doing it at the day's peak temperature.

And take lots of water.

To emphsise this point, i still think that you have a fundamental planning problem and you need to be adding an extra night at Kings Canyon in order to do the rim walk early in the day. It's a long, tiring walk with no shade or shelter, apart from the extra diversion into the Garden of Eden..

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uluru to Kings Canyon - When to do the Rim Tour

IMO you on a day with maximum of 29c ,you can do the rim walk any time of the day. Having said that, if you are not heat tolerant, maybe you shouldn't do it in the middle of the day. After 2 pm should not be a problem. Yes, you might need to take it a bit easier and drink as much water as you can, but it beats staying at Kings Canyon an extra night when you have limited time. We did it at Christmas the year before about 9.00 am and it was fine. Again, some people need more water and some less. There were 4 of us and none drank that much. What I am saying is that everybody is different. Only you know what you and your family is are capable of. Take that into account when making the decision about when and what to do.

The rim walk can be done comfortably in about 3 hours. The 4 of us took 3 hours at a easy pace. I did it on my own in just an hour the next morning by myself, at a very fast pace.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,106 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uluru to Kings Canyon - When to do the Rim Tour

That's poor advice.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uluru to Kings Canyon - When to do the Rim Tour

Poor advise is telling somebody that they need to add an extra night to Kings Canyon when they already said that they cannot do it.

Get answers to your questions about Kings Canyon