We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! - My American girlfriend wants to see ULURU!!!

Boquete
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! - My American girlfriend wants to see ULURU!!!

Hi I am an Ozzie returning after 27 years away and am bringing my American girlfriend who desperately wants to see The BIG rock!!!...so I'll be in Bris and Sydney in Sept 2014. We only want a few days and something that isn't going to kill me $$ wise...(but I don't want her to kill me for not doing it either)...any help or suggestions re the best, most affordable way to do this -itinery, flights, accom etc would be GREATLY appreciated!!!...she thinks I should already know all this and I am like..I haven't lived there in 30 years!!!!!....We live in Panama at the moment...

Gracias all,

Dianne H

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! - My American girlfriend wants to see ULURU!!!

I would advise booking airfares asap as they aren't going to get any cheaper! The truth is a trip to Uluru is expensive unfortunately, all the accommodation is owned by the one company so no competition. A self catering style accommodation in the Emu Walk apartments or Pioneer Lodge may help just a little. There is a large supermarket there where prices when we went 2 years ago weren't that much more expensive than Sydney supermarkets (which will no doubt shock you anyway - food in Australia is expensive!)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! - My American girlfriend wants to see ULURU!!!

Hi,

Have a read through the link below regarding Uluru & cutting costs.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

As mentioned by Mia the Pioneer Lodge or hotel would be your cheapest option. Have a look on

wotif.com/hotels/australia-nt-ayers-rock-ulu…

Also look on the other hotel websites to compare rates with other hotel sites. Look on www.booking.com.au or www.expedia.com for any deals. You may also find deals on www.flightcentre.com.au that also includes flights & hotel.

for flights - www.qantas.com.au www.skyscanner.net.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! - My American girlfriend wants to see ULURU!!!

FYI, there are no direct flights from Brisbane - so probably easiest to organise the Uluru trip as part of your Sydney visit, as you will likely be changing there (or Melbourne) anyway. Flights are not going to be cheap as this is peak season for the Northern Territory.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! - My American girlfriend wants to see ULURU!!!

Hi.

The 'good' thing about a trip to uluru, is you only need a few nights to see most of what there is to do. I stayed at emu walk apartments, and cooked all our own lunches/dinners, which saved money. We found a deal that included a buffet breakfast, it was well worth it, such a bargain.

Definitely definitely hire a car. It costs something crazy like 60 dollars return to get the transfer from the resort to uluru. If you have a car you can pop back and forth for sunrise, sunset, and drive to the Olga's (well worth a trip).

We saved a lot of money by only doing free activities - all the walks are free, the cultural centre is free, and there are lots of free daily activities at the resort (we loved the indigenous dance workshop).

We travelled in May, but for a rough idea of coatings, we paid 1100 AUD for return flights for 2 from SYD to Ayers Rock, 750 AUD for 3 nights at emu walk and free breakfast, 200 AUD for 4 days car hire, 50 AUD for 2 x 3 day passes to the national park, and around 150 AUD on groceries (3 x dinner, lunch, snacks and soft drinks). So 2250 AUD in total for 3N4D. We thought was pretty reasonable for a budget but comfortable trip.

Flights were only booked a month in advance (so pricier), with Jetstar, not including any hold luggage.

Car hire must be booked in advance, and a top tip is that the major car hire companies only have a small fleet, and only a few 'compact' cars. So if you book a (cheaper) compact car, there is a high likelihood you will be upgraded for free to a bigger car. The roads in the immediate area are high quality and you will not need anything bigger than a compact from that point of view.

Abs :)

Boquete
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! - My American girlfriend wants to see ULURU!!!

Thanks, will do.

Really appreciate all this advice. dlh

Edited: 24 June 2014, 02:50
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! - My American girlfriend wants to see ULURU!!!

Excellent post ABS - great to include all the cost information, we'll have to sticky this one as keeping costs under control at Uluru is certainly a frequent question.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,054 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! - My American girlfriend wants to see ULURU!!!

Here's another tip…

if there are 4 of yopu and you are worried that you and luggage won't fir in the small car…

pop the person doing check in and the bags in the small car and the rest of the family can ride in the free airport transfer…. this means you are ahead of the queue to check in at the resort

and you don't have to pay extra for a bigger car as the only way you transfer luggage is to/from the airport..

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
301 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP! - My American girlfriend wants to see ULURU!!!

Hi, can I just mention that it may be quite hot during the day at that time so please be prepared for the heat.

Pioneer Lodge was great for us - not cheap for what it was but there was a guest kitchen to use, and there was a cheaper take-away food option as well as a more expensive cook-your-BBQ option.

Agree with hiring a car because you can take yourself to Uluru (hire a bike and ride around it), go over to the Olgas and maybe venture to Kings Canyon. Note fuel is super expensive in this location.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP! - My American girlfriend wants to see ULURU!!!

We stayed in a camping cabin which has everything except your own washroom. This was less than the alternatives except for shared hostel rooms.

Booze is very expensive, food not so bad. Rent a car and beware of the heat.

west orange nj
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP! - My American girlfriend wants to see ULURU!!!

is it worth the trip to go to the rock. or should i spend more time in sydney melbourne and NZ?