We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bargain Car Rental

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
1 post
210 reviews
Bargain Car Rental

This is going to sound really stupid, but we have rented from all the major rental car (car hire) companies around the world, but this little Aussie company was great. Unconventional, but great.

Trying to find a car hire in Darwin that did not kill us with limited kilometers per day (we were doing a quick trip to Kakadu) we stumbled upon Bargain through a web search. We had a late arrival, which meant we were arriving after their office hours. At first, I was concerned about their after hour car pick-up procedure, but let me assure you, it worked smoothly, as described, and much more quickly than if we had gone with Hertz or Thrifty or someone else.

The after-hours pick-up concept is that, in advance of your arrival; you scan and send your driver’s license information, agree to the full insurance, and arrange payment. When you arrive at the airport, you will collect your bags onto a free (no fee) luggage cart, then follow the directions they e-mailed you to their car lot. Here you will enter a code (again sent by e-mail) into a lock box, collect your car keys and paperwork, sign the contract and leave it in the lock box. You then get in your rental car and drive away.

This was especially good for us, because our already late flight was delayed even longer for several hours. We arrived well after midnight. I never worried about getting the car, though all the other car hire offices were closed.

The return was even better. Having an early morning flight (before the car hire offices opened), the procedure is to drive the car to the airport and park in the short term carpark, complete the paperwork provided when you picked-up the car, drop the keys into a lock box, and walk across the street to the terminal building.

Charges on my credit card were as agreed, with no “hidden” fees or stuff like that.

The major car rental companies try to do a similar process, but these guys have it down and it works flawlessly. Just follow the instructions, and all is well. Their pricing was reasonable.

16 replies to this topic
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
61 reviews
11. Re: Bargain Car Rental

I rented with them in Gold Coast and would not recommend. Booked via Rentalcars.com, paid in advance, zero balance.

Upon arrival at 8 pm we had to call a parking company to collect us as it turns out this was after hours. They did not pick up on first try, which was annoying as we did not have a phone and had to borrow. Additional drivers were free, but we were unable to add a driver as it was after hours. Thankfully we did not have to drive far that weekend but otherwise it would have been inconvenient.

I was also surprised to be charged an AUD 68 after hours fee (2x34), with pick-up and drop-off booked for 8 PM. Seems like a fairly normal time to me for a hospitality business, and even though we actually dropped the car back off at 4:30 PM they still charged us the second fee. Definitely not a bargain anymore. Either way because I wasn't informed about this, rentalcars.com is refunding me.

The USB outlet in our car wasn't working and it also had a massive ant problem. Would definitely not use again.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
97 reviews
12. Re: Bargain Car Rental

We just did our car hire through Bargain Car Rentals and we couldn’t fault them! We booked through Top End Tourism and were given unlimited kilometres which was essential for our trip! When we arrived at the airport we had to call a phone number as the office is just outside the airport zone and they came to collect us very quickly! Checkin was easy, friendly, courteous and helpful staff. Brand new car and according to what we ordered! Drop off was easy also and we were able to leave the car outside opening hours at the town office and put the key in an afterhours box. Price was so much less than the others I was a bit worried but I didn’t need to as everything was perfect! Highly recommended!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
190 reviews
13. Re: Bargain Car Rental

Chantal this thread is about the Darwin Office and as most international flights arrive very late at night, Bargain Car seem to have established a workable and simple system. Other companies at the airport keep their office open at night then close once the last plane comes in and re open around mid morning if they have bookings.

If you have concerns with the Gold Coast office then you would be better of contacting them direct rather than tacking your complaint on to a different office.

Northland Region...
Level Contributor
238 posts
121 reviews
14. Re: Bargain Car Rental

I can certainly recommend Bargain. We have just used them, as we were returning to Darwin where we have a place over at Wagait Beach, and although a member of two of the major rentals I balked at the limited Kms. As described the collection was easy and the car was clean and tidy. We dropped the car off at the city depot, which is convenient to all the CBD hotels. Would use again and easily recommend.

Central Victoria
Level Contributor
44 posts
180 reviews
15. Re: Bargain Car Rental

Bargain car Rentals in Darwin city were great.

We had a little Hyundai for 4 days last week and visited Kakadu, Edith falls, Katherine gorge, Litchfield N.P.

The car was great at $104 per day, very economical and unlimited kms.

(You need to book through Tourism N.T. for the unlimited kms)

I would have no hesitation recommending them to family/friends.

16. Re: Bargain Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 September 2018, 13:06

Reply to: Bargain Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted