We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places of Interest in Darwin

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Places of Interest in Darwin

We are hoping to be in Darwin during middle of August for 6 nights. Can somebody advise us of the "must see" places in and around Darwin. Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places of Interest in Darwin

Well, apart from the obvious things like Litchfield & Kakadu - my two favourite places in Darwin were the Oil Storage Tunnels & the East Point Military Museum. I'm not really a war/military buff, but both were interesting, quirky diversions.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,609 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places of Interest in Darwin

The museum is well worth a visit. Its in a gorgeous setting and the Aboriginal artefacts are amazing.

Also Berry Springs Narture Park and Indo Pacific Marine.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places of Interest in Darwin

Museum and Art Gallery of the NT (cyclone Tracey etc)

Aquascene - fish feeding (surprisingly fun)

Mindil Beach Markets - Thurs, Sun Thursday much larger

Litchfield National Park

Kakadu

Crocodylus Park

Crocodile Farm

jumping Crocs cruise

that should keep you busy.

FlyByNiter
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Places of Interest in Darwin

Having just got back from two weeks in Darwin ( today ) I can thoroughly recommend the fish feeding, its awesome!

I highly recommend you take a city tour on the Tour Tub, the driver is fantastic with heaps of knowledge & there are regular stops at the Museum, WW2 Oil Storage, etc. Definately have to do the Tour Tub.

Also, The Buzz cafe/ resteraunt over at Cullen Bay is worth going to, even if its just to get a look at the men's loo. Can't say too much cos I don't want to spoil the suprise, but its a MUST!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places of Interest in Darwin

The Museum is brilliant. I was not expecting to be so impressed. It is really interesting - WW2, Cyclone Tracy, Sweetheart (a HUGE crocodile).

I also really enjoyed the Mindil Beach Night Markets (on a Thursday night, I think, although I was in Darwin 10 years ago so this might have changed).

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,387 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places of Interest in Darwin

The Territory Wildlife Park and Berry Springs Park are located right next to each other and make a great combination for a day trip out of Darwin.

You might find 6 nights a bit too many for Darwin, so I'd recommend looking at a couple nights at Kakadu or a couple nights in Katherine. We really enjoyed Katherine--swimming and hiking at Edith Falls NP, canoeing at Katherine Gorge NP, touring Cutti Cutti Cave and the Crocodile Night Adventure in Katherine.

FlyByNiter
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Places of Interest in Darwin

Not true. We stayed 8 nights in Darwin & could have stayed another week, we found plenty to do every day & even at night. Day trips include barra fishing, Litchfield, even day trips to Kakadu!!! Just do your research, there's plenty to do in darwin & surrounds.

And yes, Sweetheart IS a HUGE croc, isn't he???!!! Museum & Parliament House are a must see.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Places of Interest in Darwin

Thank you very much for all the advise.

9. Re: Places of Interest in Darwin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 22:17