We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Britz campervans easy to drive?

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Are Britz campervans easy to drive?

We are two seniors who have never really camped but wanted to see Kakadu for a 4 days plus Darwin for 4 days. Thinking of hiring a campervan with shower and toilet but not sure if this will be easy to drive and if there are good places to camp in Darwin and Kakadu? Any tips welcomed. MM

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Britz campervans easy to drive?

Britz has several different models based on different chassis. The camper van is basically the same to drive as the stock standard vehicle. If it is the Land cruiser you are getting then it is the same as the one down the road. If it is your first time for driving a 4WD then it is different from a sedan, bigger, you sit higher up, ride may not be a soft as a car but it is a 4WD, turning circle is larger. If it is one of the transit type vans then it is very similar to a medium or large size car to drive.

Camping sites in Darwin might be hard to find at the moment as it is peak time. Unlikely to be much improvement in the next few years as Tourism NT only recently went public and claimed that there were many vacant caravan sites in the Darwin area in spite of what the visitors have been saying. They currently have no strategy for people driving here, only the overseas market.

This list some of the parks www.arounddarwin.com.au/caravan_darwin.html but the Overlander has been closed now for a while. Google Darwin Caravan parks for details.

In Kakadu there are set areas to camp, with a commercial caravan park at Jabiru, Cooinda has another caravan park. See the Park web site environment.gov.au/parks/…camping.html

and you now have to pay to enter Kakadu.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
688 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Britz campervans easy to drive?

yes they're easy and great to drive. Hiace vans fitted out. we camped at Coorinda great on the yellow river. we didnt have the toilet or shower just used facilites on site.

the caravan parks are out of town in Darwin, we opted to stay in motel in town and hired the van just for Litchfield and Coorinda.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Britz campervans easy to drive?

Hi Marie,

The big 'motorhomes' if thats what your looking at, are cumbersome and it is the driver, not so much the vehicle, that can be the problem. :-)

The road out to kakadu whilst sealed is a little bit narrow in places and bumpy in stretches due to the perennial wet season damage, but of course mostly dead flat. Think similar conditions to the Captains Flat road.

LsBob is right - search the NT news for the current hoohah on campsites/caravan parks in Darwin.

We found down near yellow water to be the best campsites. But anywhere in Jabiru is also a good base. To save effort you could take day tours from Jabiru and the guides will get you to some places you wouldn't think of or find. (Its also hard driving in some areas and something like 90 minute drive to Jim-Jim for example)

<http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/kakadu/visitor-information/road-report.html>

There are some good locally owned operations and you'll get some 'in-country' additional knowledge as well.

I can highly recommend the helicopter flights if you've got the dollars. Awesome stuff.

Don't forget Litchfield - its closer to Darwin, more waterfalls (if they're still flowing), more easily accessible and free entry ! Though it lacks the indigenous insights that Kakadu presents.

enjoy!

<added more info and link to kakadu road report>

Edited: 19 July 2010, 02:36
Canberra, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Britz campervans easy to drive?

Thank you for all the advice. I think we will stick to a car this time and check the different types of motorhomes for another time.

Canberra, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Britz campervans easy to drive?

Thank you. I think we will leave the motorhomes for another time. We now plan to stay in Darwin and hire a car and take some tours. Any suggestions on reasonable places to stay in Darwin that do not cost the earth?

Canberra, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Britz campervans easy to drive?

Thank you. I think we will stay in Darwin and hire a car for close stuff and just do a few tours. Any suggestions on a reasonable place to stay in Darwin that is near the water?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Britz campervans easy to drive?

Hi marie

I cant offer much advice on accom. in Darwin, other than (IMHO) to avoid anything on or near Mitchell st, its the 'pub street' and they don't mind a drink in Darwin :-)

Also note, kakadu isn't really a day trip from Darwin its about 3 hrs drive to jabiru, not including stops - e.g. Window on the Wetlands and the must-do adelaide river croc tours. You are really better off staying in the park. The tours out of Darwin make for a veeery long day.

Litchfield from Darwin is about half that.

Don't let just me put you off a motorhome though, lots of crazy europeans drive them everywhere !! Maybe you could get a smaller campervan, better on fuel and much more nimble whilst still allowing you to "camp". You only drive and sleep in them - you'll find most of your time spent outside (dont forget the bushmans!)

Canberra, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Britz campervans easy to drive?

Thanks. We are still not sure where we will sleep! The accommodation in Darwin and Kakadu is pretty expensive. I am searching for the best deal at this stage.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are Britz campervans easy to drive?

Have you tried the YHA accom? www.yha.com.au

or www.wotif.com.au. or stayz.com?? I usually ffind the YHA is quite comfortable, don't know what the Darwin one is like.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are Britz campervans easy to drive?

HI again,

if its any help, we got a wicked 4wd van (mitsubishi delica thingy) they are slightly larger than the the toyota hiace and come with all the kitchen implements, esky and a comfy mattress. You will have trouble, as noted, finding places to stay in the high (dry) season in Darwin and its probably easier just to get out of town and head to a campsite. There's a couple of spots to stop on the way to Jabiru. e.g. Mary River Park. good showers! There's some 'camping' stops at various lagoons and other places too.

Litchfield has camping too, but I dont know how busy it is in the dry.