We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best value for pearls

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best value for pearls

Would anyone be able to tell me where I can find good pearls to a descent price in Darwin? It seems like the prices are way over top in order to sell to tourists.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best value for pearls

Bynoe Harbour Pearls had a shop at the Wharf Precinct but the Darwin Port web page is down at the moment, it was taken over by Paspaley Pearling so the shop might have closed. Both companies sell the good quality local cultured pearls. Sterns Jewellers sell the South Seas pearls.

Cheap pearls go to some of the other jewellers who might have the cheaper cultured pearls from overseas, their nacre is a lot thinner than the local pearls and do not have the same level of iridescence.

Salcombe, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best value for pearls

Samdex how right you are.

Last week I visited what is regarded as the best Pearl Dealer

in Darwin to be shown a string of 38 pearls, being informed by the saleswoman the usual salespitch about the best in the world here, with the residue of 2nd quality pearls being offloaded elsewhere. The Pearls were not the best looking sample and the price asked AUD$ 9180 or as a tourist

over £150 each pearl. Reasonable quality can be purchased elsewhere at much lower prices than those offered in Darwin.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best value for pearls

Oh wow! I knew the prices would be bad but that was so, so much more than I thought! wow. You could do a lot of travelling for that kind of money. ;)

Thanks for the input and information as I had no idea about the different quality of pearls. Will have a look and see if i manage to find any Darwin pearls for a good price.

would anyone know if the pearls at the mindil market are genuine? I never dare to look at them in case they are not.

Clare Valley...
Level Contributor
129 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best value for pearls

The prices quoted aren't prices especially for tourists - Paspaley are a world renowned company.

IMHO you get what you pay for - if you want top of the range pearls you go to Paspaley (or Kallis), if you want lesser quality you go elsewhere

5. Re: Best value for pearls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2011, 07:16