We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone visiting Darwin for the 70th Anniversary of bombing?

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone visiting Darwin for the 70th Anniversary of bombing?

I am coming to Darwin for the first time in Feb to be there on the anniversary of the bombings. Wanted to touch base with anyone else who is also doing this. My parents were in Darwin at the time.

Does anyone have any information about the specifics of the events planned for the actual anniversary Feb 19 a Sunday.?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone visiting Darwin for the 70th Anniversary of bombing?

Hi. I happened to notice your post on page 3 (being holiday time people may not be checking the forums as often so I hope it's okay if I butt in though it's not my area). Have you come across what appears to be the official website?

http://www.frontlineaustralia.com.au/

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,493 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone visiting Darwin for the 70th Anniversary of bombing?

Hi springqueen,

We were in Darwin just last August and went to the East Point Military Museum. Great little museum, very informative and an eye opener on how Darwin was absolutely smashed during WW2.

Your folks must have gone through hell during the bombing.

I wish I could go to the anniversary, but have other commitments.

If you haven't seen the museum, well worth the entry.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255066…

Have a great time.

Safe travels - Robert

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone visiting Darwin for the 70th Anniversary of bombing?

The Darwin city council and the NT Government will be holding the 70th Anniversary, the web site given by Macknee is the best one as to visit but also read …nt.gov.au/sites/…20FA.pdf

The 50th was a larger than usual function as many veterans returned to Darwin and there were many special functions on for them plus several booklets about WW2 in the Top End. There was also a fly pass of several veteran planes from that era plus the USAF just happened to have a B52 in Darwin which did a flyover also at only a couple of hundred feet. More information will be made available later though the number of returning veterans decreases each year. The USN always have a ship here for the event.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone visiting Darwin for the 70th Anniversary of bombing?

Thank you so much. No I had not come across that official website. I had been searching on the NT tourism boards and also for info on my dads unit. The Darwin Mobile Force, but this is really good. thanks for that.

5. Re: Anyone visiting Darwin for the 70th Anniversary of bombing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 10:24
Get answers to your questions about Darwin