We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Margate, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire

Visiting Darwin in June this year to meet up with my daughter-can anyone recommend a good,reasonably priced car hire company please?

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire

Hi, Were you going to just stay in Darwin itself, or did you need a car for outlying areas/day trips? There are generally limited km options available as Darwin is classified a remote location. Prices are more expensive than on the Eastern seaboard.

There was a recent thread about this here:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g256202-i4068-k…

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire

If you are flying into Darwin then the main companies have a desk at the airport which is handy. The main companies are Thrifty, Avis, Eurocar and one other which I forget as I am not in Darwin at the moment. Look at their sites to see which car offers the best rate for the size car you want. You may be able to get a discount depending on your credit card.

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire

The other is Hertz.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,854 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire

We always use Thrifty in the outback & Darwin.. good office & workshop available.

Thrifty operates from Darwin Airport & the city..

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire

Thanks for everyone's quick reply-we will be flying into Darwin airport and using the car to get around the various attractions in and around Darwin.sounds like we have a fair choice at the airport.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
132 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire

For any members of RACV, RACQ etc, Thrifty have a book 12 days and pay for 10 offer. Plus the car club membership also gives a discount. Saved about $150 on a 13 day hire compared to what I could find on the various comparison sites.

Pickup in town rather than the airport also saves a few dollars.

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire

I am a member of the UK AA but not sure that this will getme any discount in OZ-anybody know?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire

Probably not & I found the NRMA deal didn't work out to be the best for 7 days. The best I found for our needs was Hertz via www.tripit.com

Depending what you're doing you may not need a car in Darwin, cabs & buses may work out more economical. We've only rented for our week driving to Kakadu/Katherine/Litchfield.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
132 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire

The NRMA deal works for me as all the other 7day & 12 days deals end next month (from memory). The NRMA deal is valid until the end of the year. I'm still looking for a better deal, especially the annoying $3,300 excess charge. I'm trying the tripit site right now. Amazing and slightly freaky how it assembles the trip plan from your emails.

I also suspect that overseas car club members won't be able to access the NRMA deals. The access via our car club webpage only allows the State membership number as far as I can see. The car hire firms also seem to treat non Aussie residents differently - I assume they have a higher rate or excess.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire

We only hired a car for one day. Cost us $A48 before we paid additional to reduce the excess. it was a Holden Cruze, and lovely to drive.

We hired it from the city, but the shuttle into the city costs $12 a person, so the $15 additional to pick up and also to drop off at the airport may be worth it. Funnily we had already paid for the return shuttle before deciding to hire a car and so didnt want to take it back to the airport which would have been cheaper, but they had to bring it to us from the airport into the city and took it back when we returned it, maybe they shouldnt charge additional for that location.

We used Thrifty adn found them very good and accommodating. The US and Australian gov services use them so that must say something.