We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route ideas for Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine & Litchfield in July

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Route ideas for Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine & Litchfield in July

Hi. My husband and I and 16 year old son will be visiting Darwin for 10 days in July. We would like ideas for a 5 day/4 night trip to include Kakadu, Katherine and Litchfield National Park with a rental car. We will do the early morning yellow waters cruise. Which route should we go and where we should stay. The rest of the time we will be in Darwin. Thanks.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,662 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route ideas for Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine & Litchfield in July

I will be interested to see other responses, but we are doing the same trip in 3 weeks time. Starting in Darwin and doing Litchfield as a day trip from there, then Arnhem Hwy to Jabiru, then Kakadu/Stuart Hwy to Katherine Gorge, then Stuart Hwy back to Darwin. We have less time than you as we are also flying to visit Uluru for 2 nights and only have 11 days all up.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,474 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route ideas for Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine & Litchfield in July

Hi Darolin

Below is one option:

Day 1 - Darwin to Kakadu stopping at Fogg Dam, maybe a Jumping Croc cruise if you are interested, Mamukala wetlands, Ubirr for sunset, stay at Cooinda

Day 2 - Yellow Water Cruise, Nourlangie then either a walk such as Nungawalurr (stay Cooinda) or head to Gunlom down the southern end of the park and stay either Cooinda or Pine Creek (this would be a long day though and involves a dirt road)

Day 3 - Drive to Katherine, stop at Edith Falls along the way (do the walk to the top pools if you like walking), stay at the accommodation at Nitmiluk National Park.

Day 4 - Katherine Gorge Cruise, maybe stop at hot springs or museum in Katherine, drive to Batchelor for night

Day 5 - Litchfield National Park and back to Darwin

There are plenty of ways you can amend this itinerary to suit your personal interests, but this should give you something to work from. Enjoy!

Edited: 06 April 2013, 07:23
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route ideas for Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine & Litchfield in July

It is doable as Shan says but...it's a shame to rush so much.

In my opinion, you are really squeezing a lot of distance in and a lot of constant being on the move.

It depends on also when you are going as to if some walks are open as well, as gunlom could still be closed and edit falls top walk also may be shut.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
54 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route ideas for Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine & Litchfield in July

ShazDwn sounds good. Litchfield is very close to Darwin and Darwin itself is more of a 'base' then an attraction. Remember to take lots and lots of water and sunscreen. Uluru sunset is amazing. Watch the rock transform from one colour to another. Beautiful. Don't miss it. Also, don't expect amazing service and stunning accommodation. Its not that sort of place. But the natural sites are breathtaking and more than make up for it.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route ideas for Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine & Litchfield in July

It is doable but you will not have much time at the different sites. In your limited time frame you will have to miss some sights. By July there should not be any areas closed due to high water levels.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,626 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route ideas for Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine & Litchfield in July

If you are going to be in Darwin for 10 days, I would use one of those days for a day trip to Litchfield so that you have more time for Kakadu and Katherine. Even better would be spending 5 days in Darwin (with one of those days set aside for Litchfield) and 5 days between Kakadu and Katherine. Four days devoted just to Darwin will be more than enough time to see the sights there.

My teenagers really enjoyed the day we spent at Edith Falls. The hike to the upper pools is not difficult and the views are magnificent. The pools up there are nice for swimming and we also enjoyed swimming in the lower pool (good swim to the waterfall) and a picnic lunch.

Also, if you want a more active day at Katherine Gorge, you might want to rent canoes instead of taking the cruise. We paddled out to some cataracts, got out and looked at some rock drawings and had a bit of a swim. You'll probably want to pre-book canoes--we did it through Travel North.

Another big hit for our teens was the Crocodile Night Adventure in Katherine where we took a boat ride to spotlight crocs, had a BBQ dinner under the stars and got an "up close" encounter with one of the resident crocs. This is another activity that needs to be pre-booked.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route ideas for Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine & Litchfield in July

Thank you for your reply and great ideas. We will definitely go to Edith Falls. I am worried about getting accommodation as we are going during July school holidays and some of the places I have tried are already booked out. That may dictate our schediule abit.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
54 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route ideas for Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine & Litchfield in July

Book now for July! The dry season is crazy busy as the weather is magnificent. You risk paying way too much or not getting anything at all. Hope you get it all locked in soon. :-)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route ideas for Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine & Litchfield in July

I have done most of my bookings and couldn't always get my first choice. I haven't booked the rental car yet. Do you know who does unlimited km's?

Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route ideas for Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine & Litchfield in July

See last day of our trip report re car rental. Must clarify, we loved this company and the benefit of booking through top end tourism for unlimited k's , absolutely no problems and would highly recommend however should clarify others on this site haven't always agreed or had similar experience

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255066-i1010-k…

Get answers to your questions about Darwin