We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving and camping advice

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Driving and camping advice

Hi. We're planning our trip driving in motor home from Darwin via Perth to Sydney. All advice and ideas gratefully received

Andy & Gillie

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving and camping advice

Welcome!! What time of year are you planning to come and how long are you planning to take? Lou Darwin

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving and camping advice

Yes a little more information would help. You have looked at the distance from Darwin - Perth -Sydney? It would be a good trip if planned properly.

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving and camping advice

Hi thanks for replying so soon! We plan to arrive October 2014, aiming to get to Sydney by Xmas, to meet up with our daughters, then explore east coast after Xmas. Crazy or what?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,664 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving and camping advice

Its a long, long drive and will take a fair bit of time Christmas in Sydney would be a reasonable eta if you take your time .

Properly prepared though it should be a good trip. Are you planning to come down the west coast or take a more inland route to Perth and then head across the Nullabor and head to Adelaide - Melbourne and then Sydney?

More information on your travel plans will help regular contributors to this forum assist with more precise information.

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving and camping advice

Planning to travel via Katherine, kununurra, broome, then Coast road to Perth, then straight through to port Augusta, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney. Do you know of any organised trips/tours from PA into centre?

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving and camping advice

Any info/advice on buying motor homes in Darwin gratefully received!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving and camping advice

Well the trip is doable, a lot of driving but you have the time to do it at a sensible rate. Of course it could take longer if you visit more places but you have to work out your preferences to what to see. October is starting to have the build up to the Wet, be humid and hot and more so when you are going through the Kimberlies to Broome.

Motor homes...what size are you after? Kea have offices in Darwin and they rent units ranging from the 2 person type van up to those that sleep 6 people. They are at the higher end of the market but they use newer vans. Britz also have offices here but they tend to go for the Toyota 4wd which sleeps 2, some can sleep more but that is a severe test of your marriage. There are cheaper companies around but they lack having the offices around Australia for back up like the 2 mentioned companies do, and their vans are second to third hand and getting worn, If you really really want adventure you can try Wicked but read the reviews first.

For buying a motor home it is a different story, Kea does from time to time have units about 3 to 4 years old up for sale, they tend to be in good condition but see their web side for further information and in the local news paper, the NT News, on a Saturday they have a section on cars, caravans, trailers for sale. People may not be willing to sell though to an overseas buyer as there have been a few scams on Ebay with false overseas buyers.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,664 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving and camping advice

On a trip like you plan I would be doing as much research as possible over a 6 month + period to make certain I was as well prepared for the trip as possible.

Factors I would include in my research would be.

Weather - at that time of the year it will be hot and humid in northern Australia. Road conditions especially in the top end can change quickly and you would have to be flexible enough to be able to make last minute changes to your travel plans.

In southern and eastern states there is what we call the fire season which generally lasts from late spring to the end of summer with NSW already experiencing extreme weather conditions and bush fires that have caused some damage and thankfully with no loss of life.

The daily distances I would expect to travel - availability of accommodation, food and importantly fuel supplies.

A good estimated guess of the fuel consumption and its type for the vehicle I would anticipate using.

Calculating the total distance I would be expected to travel and the amount of fuel and its cost. In remote areas the cost of fuel can be much more expensive than in major cities and regional towns. As well some types may be restricted in availability.

Repair facilities in some areas may be limited and if I was using my own vehicle, I would be arranging membership of a motoring organisation such as the RACV, NRMA ect, with total care, to provide backup in case of a vehicle breakdown.

A trip like you are planning can be a wonderful experience and in some cases a trip of a life time so long as you are very well prepared. This is a great and spectacular country but it can also be unforgiving for the unprepared.

Good luck with planning for your trip

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving and camping advice

Hi Andrew,

Firstly, how long are you going to be in Darwin/surrounds for? I would consider staying in a hotel with a hire car while you are in Darwin itself. Caravan parks are pricey (from $50 per night) and you would be staying out of the city. It will be hot and humid, usually 35 degrees in the middle of the day, so you will be running your aircon 24hrs. It may well be cheaper (and a hell of a lot more comfortable) to stay in a hotel.

I would urge you to visit Kakadu for a couple of days. Defintely do a couple of cruises (Yellow Waters and Galyumbi on the East Alligator are brilliant). You will want to visit Ubirr and maybe some of the other sites.

There are camping grounds at most of the tourist sites (Merl at the East Alligator for example) that have basic camping facilities. Be aware, these are bush camp sites which are quite private. There are also caravan parks in both Jabiru and South Alligator.

Litchfield National Park also offers camping facilities and is definetly worth a visit. There are a few different waterfalls that you can visit. I would do it over two days so you aren't rushed. It will be hot, so swimming is a must! Always check that the swimming holes are not subject to closure due to croc sightings!

If you are heading across to Kununarra/Broome make sure you visit Katherine Gorge. You can canoe or take a tour. Mataranka Hot Springs is also worth a visit although it is a bit out of the way.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions!

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving and camping advice

Thanks for all the brilliant advice. Certainly acting on it! Any more advice warmly received

Get answers to your questions about Darwin