We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

darwin travell

Kladno, Czech...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
darwin travell

Hi planning budget vacation in first week march for a week around Darwin. Any suggestion.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,431 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: darwin travell

Hi,

Have a read through the FAQ's located on your right hand screen they are full of helpful information regarding Darwin.

This link may also assist you.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i18612-Darwi…

For backpacker accommodation.

hostelbookers.com/hostels/australia/darwin/…

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: darwin travell

March is nearing the end of the wet season, weather be hot and humid with rain some days. Not all facilities will be open as possibly some areas may be flooded. Jim Jim Falls is not open until late June depending on the weather. Litchfield NP is open except for the Reynold river track and Blyth Homestead.

Budget accommodation is available Google it to see the full list. Prices be cheaper as it is the off season.

How are you going to move around?

Kladno, Czech...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: darwin travell

I was hoping to rent a car and drive little inland since we have 9 days there. I will have my mum, but she is very easy going. She backpack south america this year with me for 2 months. I will take any suggestions

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: darwin travell

Once again - tke the time to do some research and then propose an itinerary. People here are more hapy to comment on what suits you and what you have planned. See the above links for ideas.

March is STILL wet season.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: darwin travell

Darwin and budget rarely go in the same sentence, but being the wet season you may pick up some bargains.

As mentioned earlier, it is easier to provide feedback if you put together a draft itinerary, or at least give us an idea of what you are interested in.

As a start though, with 9 days you could do a loop Darwin - Kakadu - Katherine - Litchfield - Darwin.

Kladno, Czech...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: darwin travell

Hi we definitelly want to do litchfield, but I am not sure if we will have enough time to drive to all of those. Also is the insurance necesarry for the car?. I tried to find another way but renting car seems like only one option.

Bara

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
12,466 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: darwin travell

IMO 9 days is plenty time to do all the places suggested by ShazDwn. The roads are good and Katherine and Kakadu are only a few hours from Darwin. My favourite spot is Lichfield National Park.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: darwin travell

There are some bus tours from Darwin - Kakadu- Katherine - Litchfield - Darwin or variations there of but whether will be running when you are here is the sticking point. See www.ntstandby.com.au/index.cgi… for a list of some tours but be prepared for last minute changes due to weather or lack of passengers. A bus tour means you follow their programme but you will get a guide to explain things and what to see.

Kladno, Czech...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: darwin travell

Okp, can I do in 9 days driving Darwin - Alice Springs-Uluru-Litchfield-Darwin

And not kidd myself in first week of march??

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: darwin travell

It is around 2000 kilometres from Darwin to Uluru, so no driving there and back in 9 days is not feasible if you want to see anything. Plus the fuel costs would make it far from a budget trip.

If you have to fly in and out of Darwin stick to the Top End. If you could fly into Darwin and out of Alice Springs or Uluru maybe you could see if there is a tour that could take in what you want to see without wasting time back tracking.

Get answers to your questions about Darwin
Recent Conversations