We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub/restaurants walking distance from the Hilton Esplanade

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
366 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pub/restaurants walking distance from the Hilton Esplanade

We will be spending a very fatigued Vacation Night One here, getting a taxi from the airport in the early afternoon.

I am not sure if I want to pick through restaurant reviews and take a list of potential places. Where might be a good street or streets to just walk along and check places out? Do restaurants post their menus outside? Here in the US they usually don't, it is nice to visit places where they do.

Beer and pub food will sit well on our jet-lagged tummies.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre
Level Contributor
451 posts
1,944 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub/restaurants walking distance from the Hilton Esplanade

Hi gigib1,

We have been to Darwin on numerous occasions.

Mitchell Street is only 5-10 minutes’ walk, (or so), away from your hotel.

Plenty of variety there to choose from, many with menu postings.

A few we have eaten and liked are; the ducks nuts bar and grill, (closest to you),

Shenannigan’s Restaurant & Bar or just across the road next to Crocosaurus cove is

The tap (with great outside seating).

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub/restaurants walking distance from the Hilton Esplanade

If you like Thai food, Hanuman is very good and it's almost in the same building as the Hilton Esplanade at the back entrance on Mitchell St.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,884 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub/restaurants walking distance from the Hilton Esplanade

Dont expect anything too flash regarding Darwin restaurants. They are all mostly average aside from a few nice ones.

Mitchell close to all the action - sometimes too close, so make sure you are tucked up in your hotel before all the clubbers are out and it gets messy.

There are many of open air restaurants which are great for people watching.

However, nothing like a nice walk ( say - 5 mins ) to the Esplanade to Char Restaurant, but considered pricey by some.

Down at the Waterfront - The Precinct is nice pub food with a lots of boutique beers on tap. If you want something cheaper/ big meals but standard fare- Fiddlers Green just nearby is in a nice setting and a busy vibe.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub/restaurants walking distance from the Hilton Esplanade

For pub good at that end of Mitchell Street I go with the Shenanigans recommendation or Lost Arc. I'd say food is better value at Lost Arc but the beers are better at Shenanigans.

For just really good food go with the Hanumans idea. As mentioned, the walk couldn't be much shorter but you'd miss out on some flavors of Darwin streetlife ;)

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub/restaurants walking distance from the Hilton Esplanade

Hanumans is a good suggestion. But if you do feel like a small walk my choice would be Moorish on Knuckey St (Mediterranean and Tapas).

Or just wander down Mitchell St and see what takes your fancy.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
366 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub/restaurants walking distance from the Hilton Esplanade

Thanks everybody, this is just what I need. Darwin time is 7.5 hours earlier than Los Angeles time so we will have trouble staying awake until dinner time. A couple of beers and a full tummy, we shall pass out at 7 pm.

7. Re: Pub/restaurants walking distance from the Hilton Esplanade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 04:19