We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for young family 10days in NT

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for young family 10days in NT

We are very excited to be travelling to NT middle of May but am finding it difficult to know where to stay.

We have 3 young kids, who are well travelled & want to really experience NT, although at the same time don't mind some comforts! The plan is;

3 nights Darwin (fri,sat,Sunday nights - so we can see the markets??)

2 nights Katherine

3 nights Kakadu

2 nights Litchfield

Does this itinerary sound possible mid-May, we are hiring a 4wd.

Can anyone suggest accomodation that will suit the family, we don't want to transport camping things but happy to stay rough a couple of nights as long as it is an experience and I'm guessing somewhere to swim for the kids!!

Thanks, any suggestions appreciated

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for young family 10days in NT

Sounds like a good itinerary.

You do not mention your budget, so hopefully these suggestions will suit.

In Darwin stay at Medina or Vibe at the Darwin Waterfront. Great area, the hotels have pools but there is also a wave pool and a swimming lagoon out the front, plus plenty of restaurants, easy walking distance to town or Stokes Hill Wharf (I recommend you head out there for a meal one night).

Weekend Markets in Darwin:

- Parap Sat am, my favourite, good mix of stalls

- Nightcliff Sun am, smaller than Parap

- Rapid Creek Sun am, mostly fruit and veg

- Mindil Beach Sun pm, the famous one right next to the beach

In Katherine - my preference would be to stay near the Gorge. It is 30 km out of town though which doesn't suit everyone. http://www.nitmiluktours.com.au/accommodation

In Kakadu - Cooinda lodge would be my pick, by far the best pool and located in the centre of the Park

In Batchelor - there are a couple of caravan parks with family cabins which may suit. Rum Jungle Bungalows is also meant to be good. Never stayed there so can't give personal recommendation.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip .

Melbourne
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for young family 10days in NT

Thanks for those suggestions,

Im unsure about Darwin accommodation as I called Medina/Vibe and at $509/night its really a bit more than I hoped to pay. We actually arrive in Darwin approx 2am, but with kids in tow we still need to book a room for that night I guess. Not looking for somewhere cheap (just less than $1500 for what will be 2.5nights)

Any other suggestions - apartment style or hotel/motel....house rental even, although it is only 3 nights.

Thanks

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for young family 10days in NT

$509 a night - wow wouldn't have guessed that.

Try the Travelodge Mirrambeena - they have a good pool and a variety of room types, still a good location.

Argus apartments has also been recommended on here (although I haven't been there) and has two and three bedroom suites.

If all else fails try www.wotif.com and come back here to check the reviews on any that look good.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for young family 10days in NT

Just did a dummy run on Wotif and there were a few options.

Argus came in at under $500.

Or for something cheaper City Garden Apartments might suit.

Or if you are going to have a car and don't mind being 5 min out of town try Parap Village Apartments. Added bonus with this one is it is very close to Parap markets.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 08:03
Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre
Level Contributor
451 posts
1,944 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for young family 10days in NT

Through Booking.com, 2 adults, 3 children apartments, mid may 16th -19th

Parap Village Apartments 3 bedroom townhouse $1155

Luma Luma Holiday Apartments, 2 bedroom apartment $870

Marrakai Luxury All Suites 2 bedroom apartment $1260

Coconut Grove Holiday Apartments 2 bedroom apartments $765

We always use this site and seem to get the best deals.

Good Luck

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for young family 10days in NT

For your first night you might want to look at something close to the airport. Not that Darwin CBD is far from the airport, but you are coming in peak season and the airport accomodation may be cheaper then the city. Since all you are doing is sleeping, it might be a better option.

My only suggestion is that you seem to be backtracking on your itinerary. Litchfield & Katherine are to the south of Darwin and are accesible by the Stuart Highway. Kakadu is to the east and is accesible by the Arnhem Hwy (from Darwin) or the Kakadu Hwy (from Katherine). My suggestion would be to go Darwin-Litchfield-Katherine-Kakadu or Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine-Litchfield. Otherwise you will be backtracking a couple of hours to get to Litchfield.

Make sure you check out Ubirr and Nourlangie Rocks in Kakadu. There is a brilliant tour on the East Alligator (Galyumbi) which is worth a look. Swimming wise Jim Jim Falls are your best bet.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for young family 10days in NT

Also agree with Tessa C regarding what route u take as u don't want to backtrack.

Darwin - Kakadu - Katherine - Litchfield.

For additional info on what to do in Darwin.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i18612-Trip_…

Thornton, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for young family 10days in NT

We are staying at quest Parap in May a good price if you have a car close to sailing club for dinner and village of Parap

Sydney
Level Contributor
66 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for young family 10days in NT

We are heading up there doing the same tour with our kids in June/July holidays (peak time) and we too needed accom in Darwin. After nearly falling off my chair at prices for accom I called a hotel direct. The Skycity Darwin advertised a rate but when I called direct it ended up half the price. 4 of us for $320 per night in a family room on the beachfront. It might pay to call hotels directly.

Good luck!

10. Re: Suggestions for young family 10days in NT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:15