We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Darwin: September VS October

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Odintsovo, Russia
6 posts
Save Topic
Visit Darwin: September VS October

Hello everyone! My name is Katerine, I and my family (husband and 4 young children) want to come to Darwin on my husband's working congress which will be held from 3 to 10 of October. Then we think about a trip around for like a week. I checked the weather in September and October in Darwin and I have a question for Darwin residents: will it be better (no rains, no high temperature) in the middle of September than in tre middle of October? If it is, we will come in September and at the end of our journey my husband will participate in his Congress.

Thank you in advance for your tips!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Darwin: September VS October

Hi and welcome to the forum

October is "officially" the start of the wet season, however this doesn't necessarily mean it starts raining on October 1st.

Generally September is hot but still relatively dry, October is hot, but the humidity starts to climb so the weather becomes more uncomfortable. Road closures etc. are not generally an issue until later in the wet season.

So basically, yes I would say Sept is better, but October is still doable.

Cheers

Odintsovo, Russia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Darwin: September VS October

First, thank you very much for yoyr answer. And I have more questions: what about swimming in the ocean in October than in September? Is it more dangerous or there is no moch difference?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Darwin: September VS October

Agree with Shaz but generally there is not much difference between the two months, though it is more likely that October will be more humid. In Kakadu it is unlikely that some walks will be closed due to the extreme conditions, that tends to occur around December. The tours will not be as crowded as in May - August and hopefully accommodation will be cheaper.

If you have to decide between the two times then September would be the better time to come.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Darwin: September VS October

Swimming in the ocean is not recommended after 1 October due to the very deadly Box Jellyfish or Sea Wasp. However the jellyfish does not read the calendar and they are influenced by the rising humidity levels and then they become more common and toxic. Due to the wide tidal range of the tides in Darwin, up to 7 meters, and the fact that the beaches are sloping gradually you have a long walk to reach water deep enough for swimming. Sharks are not a problem, but crocodiles are.

In Darwin CBD there is the Waterfront area with a wavepool. Many hotels have a swimming pool and there a several public swimming pools.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Darwin: September VS October

As LSBob has said it is not recommended that you swim in the ocean in Darwin due to crocodiles and stingers (dangerous jellyfish).

You also can't swim in rivers or billabongs (wetlands) due to crocodiles.

There are some waterholes you can swim at, usually associated with waterfalls. For some great swimming spots head to Litchfield National Park.

Odintsovo, Russia
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Darwin: September VS October

Thank you all for trying to help me :) So, if I understand it right, we cannont swim in the ocean even in September?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit Darwin: September VS October

You can swim at the beach, however, it is not something that people really do in Darwin really do due to the risks as mentioned above at any time of the year. I personally dont swim in the ocean due to crocodiles.

It is flat water- not surf as well.

If you want surf beaches then go to South Qld and anywhere else in Australia except NT.

Odintsovo, Russia
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit Darwin: September VS October

I understand, thank you.

Is there a cheap way to travel to the nearest swim-able seaside? with airport in it, so we can fly home from there?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit Darwin: September VS October

Unfortunately there is a lack of good beaches in the Northern Territory, most of the coast line consists of mangroves though there are several good beaches in the Darwin area, but they are shallow. While the box jellyfish can be found in September, they are not as deadly as a couple of months later, so in theory the waters are safer. The beach at Casuarina and Nightcliff does have lifesavers on duty but only on a Sunday and those patrols stop at the end of September.

If you want to fly elsewhere then Queensland would be the closest but again Northern Queensland (Cairns) has the same problem with box jelly fish. Flights may not be all that cheap.

Odintsovo, Russia
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit Darwin: September VS October

Thank you all, I fully recieved the answers to all my questions!