We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 full days in Darwin

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
137 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
5 full days in Darwin

Hello three of us will be traveling together ages 23-31

We will arrive 1am on May 21 so we have 21-25th of May free. What shall we do?

we were thinking of renting a car between the three of us or just find a five day tour to see Litchfield, Kakadu and crocodile Jumping including hostal and food but I am just wondering if you think it would be cheaper to just rent our own car and see all the attractions on our own? I hear from Darwin locals that it's better to do kakadu with a tour as it is a really big park to be trying to find the ins and outs if we only have two days for kakadu itself. Any suggestions?

You think we could do litchfield on our own after we do a 9am crocodile jumping tour.

Anything else we should see or waterfalls and creeks we can swim in in darwin or litchfield etc..

Thanks for your help

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
137 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 full days in Darwin

I'm also just trying to figure the best start route should we leave airport at 1 am and drive straight to Kakadu and get a spot there? or start in CBD Darwin first then drive towards kakadu and litchfield and crocodile jumping at end of trip?

Also all the accommodation in Kakadu area is around $200/night for three people in a cabin, anyone know of anything cheaper we have no tent or sleeping bag or camper so if you can reccommend anything cheaper let me know we are looking in the $150/night range maximum. between three ppl.

do you need a 4wd for litchfield and kakadu or anthing will do?

Thanks

Edited: 06 May 2014, 03:04
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 full days in Darwin

Get a small car and self tour.

I suggest reading up on the area and do your own research about the land and culture etc and you will also get alot out of it.

You can do Kakadu in two days, but beware that its a 3.5 hour drive from town to say Cooinda - thats without stops.

You could do a Litchfield and jcroc in one day, but you would need to leave town EARLY to get first tour and then head back to Litchfield where you could have about 4 hours of time there. Its a long day and if you wantto do any hikes etc in LItchfeld you will not have time. I think its better to spend a whole day in Litchfield.

I suggest you head out to Kakakdu- do the jumping croc stay Kakadu two nights.

no- Accom in Kkadu is expensive as there is not much of it and it is a remote location.

www.travelnt.com will give you all you need to know. If you are in Darwin now, I suggest a visit to the information centre and they will give you some great advice.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 full days in Darwin

Just a question- I have just read your previous posts where people have already replied and provided you lots of information that still applies to this trip. Was any of that helpful?!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
137 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 full days in Darwin

This is really embarrassing but I have tried for 30 minutes to find my old post on Darwin. I have no cue how to find it so that is why i made a new post. oops. I know my bad.

Thanks for the help.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 full days in Darwin

tripadvisor.com.au/…56920064

I just clicked on your name and the list of your posts show up.

Happy reading!

tripadvisor.com.au/…58059551

Just realized this was not your post but one you added to on the end. Its easier if you start your own so you can keep track of more easily.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 full days in Darwin

Hiring a car is likely to work out cheaper and will give you much more freedom.

Spend the first night in Darwin, then head out to Kakadu. Stop at Fogg Dam and then do a jumping crocodile cruise along the way.

If you leave early enough you should have time to check into your accommodation in Jabiru and then head out to Ubirr for a look at the art site and sunset (take insect repellant).

For accommodation check out Lakeview Park as it has some cheaper options www.lakeviewkakadu.com.au

Next day head somewhere else in the park - for example Nourlangie walks, Cultural Centre, Yellow Water (a late afternoon cruise is great on Yellow Water is great).

Then next morning drive towards Batchelor, stop at Mamukala wetlands on the way. Night in Batchelor.

Next day visit Litchfield then return to Darwin.

Enjoy

7. Re: 5 full days in Darwin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 06:16