We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mud Crabs

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
241 posts
319 reviews
Save Topic
Mud Crabs

I'm heading up to Darwin at the beginning of July and was hoping to try and sample the mud crabs. Any suggestions as to which restaurant in Darwin serves the best mud crab dishes.....

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mud Crabs

My place about an hour after we pull them out of the water.

But as that is not an option - try Crustaceans on the Wharf, but call to check first as their menu lists them as being seasonal.

There are actually very few restaurants in Darwin that have them on the menu.

If you are staying somewhere you can cook you could drop into Mr Barra (seafood shop on Frances Bay Drive) and see if they have any for sale (they sell them live so they are fresh).

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
241 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mud Crabs

Thanks ShzDwn, have been to Darwin several times and always assumed that I couldn't find any mud crabs on the menu 'cause I was there out of season. Will check with Crustaceans - hopefully I'll be in luck this time. I find it hard to understand when the NT has such a great seafood delicacy but nobody seems to serve it up for us non-locals - is it because they are all air freighted to Singapore?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,044 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mud Crabs

No

its like NZ where getting venison is impossible

Everyone has access so the base market isn't there

Why buy it when you can get it for free

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mud Crabs

I think Guru is onto something - there is no way I would pay the price asked for a mud crab, either in a fish shop or at a restaurant. But that is because I am spoilt by living here with access to a boat and crab nets :)

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
241 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mud Crabs

Mmm but utilising that argument then there would be no Barra on the menu, because if you had a boat and a fishing line you could catch them yourself and therefore it would be cheaper than buying it cooked at a restaurant.....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,044 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mud Crabs

Ah… you see…

a boat!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mud Crabs

Dingo_dude I'm not sure what the reason is, I suspect it is a supply issue. There are commercial barra licences but I'm not aware of commercial mud crab licences (but that doesn't mean they don't exist). There have been a couple of attempts to farm mud crabs but with no success.

I do know that as a recreational fisher barra are much harder to catch than mud crabs - you can pretty much guarantee a feed when you throw the crab pots in. Fishing however, you often come home empty handed (or at least I do).

Plus barra is much cheaper to get in a restaurant up her than mud crabs - in fact barra is one of the main fish you get in the fish and chip shops. Just make sure if you do order barra somewhere that it is local and fresh caught. There is some dodgy imported stuff around, but it is now law in the NT that you have to state if any seafood on the menu is imported.

Hope you find your crabs.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
241 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mud Crabs

Thanks, if I do you'll be able to read about it in my review

9. Re: Mud Crabs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 05:15