We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Tour Companies Top End

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Recommended Tour Companies Top End

Trying to choose a good, inexpensive company for a 4/5 day tour of Kakadu / Katherine Gorge / Litchfield Area for an very active 45 + person. Adventure Company or Wayoutback any good? Would appreciate some advice. I've only got 5 clear days and want to see as much as is possible of the National Parks.

Chester, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Tour Companies Top End

Does anyone have any advice re good companies to use please?

Edited: 29 May 2014, 19:21
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Tour Companies Top End

My advice is to read all the reviews and google google google.

Have you called and had any questions clarified?

Compare itineraries.

Call the Information Centre and they may be able to recommend some.

Chester, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Tour Companies Top End

Just sent an email to the Information Centre, am continuing to read reviews. Wayoutback have been pretty helpful and efficient in their responses and seem to include everywhere I want to go including a whole day exploring Litchfield, just a bit pricey at €1045 for the 5 day safari tour.

Adventure company have a 4 day Explorer tour at €815 but don't spend a long time in Litchfield, just a morning. They too have responded to any queries quite well.

Is it worth spending a whole day in Litchfield at the different waterfalls etc?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Tour Companies Top End

I did a self-drive tour of the region and we spent a full day at Litchfield and enjoyed it - it was the right amount of time. We drove from Darwin in the morning (left fairly early), spent the day at Litchfield, and then went to accomodation nearby. It was still plenty of driving.

€1045 is about AUD 1540, for a five day tour it is on the pricier end, but not outlandishly expensive. (It may help to use AUD here since this is the Australian forum. Any prices you see in Euro are only conversions from AUD anyway.)

Chester, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended Tour Companies Top End

Sorry I meant AUD 1045 not euros, so perhaps it's not that expensive then!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended Tour Companies Top End

Its not that expensive as it basically covers $200 per day for accom, transport , food etc.

It is most definitely worth the whole day in Litchfield. If you like swimming and walking and relaxing. Some people visit Litcfield for 2 hours and think they have "done" it. Not so at all.

Chester, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended Tour Companies Top End

Yes I am thinking the same. Accommodation is a tent or swag mind! :-D

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended Tour Companies Top End

why :O ?!!! Thats the beauty of touring the top end- the weather is perfect and you get to lie in bed at night and see the endless stars.

Chester, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended Tour Companies Top End

I agree totally. I prefer to be outside. It was a :-D not a :-O !!!!

Is that still a reasonable price then bearing in mind it's camping and not hostel/ hotel etc?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended Tour Companies Top End

You can check that by doing a quick search of accom prices in Cooinda. But You really cant compare the cost of a nights accom to the daily price of a tour though as it has all the other stuff built in.

There are no hostels in Kakadu in fact there is very little accom other than two hotels some cabins and camp grounds.

Get answers to your questions about Darwin