We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day drive in Northern Territory

dublin
Level Contributor
67 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
3 day drive in Northern Territory

I am looking to go Darwin this November, explore the city and then go on a 3 day drive looking to check out some of the main attractions in the outback in the Northern half of the state. I am realistic in that it is vast but if feasible could I get recommandations. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,673 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day drive in Northern Territory

As you have probably researched it will be wet season therefore hot , humid with lots of thunder storms usually in the afternoon.

Is that three whole days to go out of town ?

If you jut have two wheel drive you will most likely be able to get into all the sealed roads- however it always depends on the amount of rainfall .

Do you have a preference to see Kakadu or Litchfield? Katherine is too much to fit in three days. You could just spend three days in Kakadu alone

Its a good idea to maybe do a tour that can take you into some parts that are inaccessible to those without 4wd rather than just miss them.

have a look at this link for an idea of an itinerary

parksaustralia.gov.au/kakadu/plan-your-trip/…

dublin
Level Contributor
67 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day drive in Northern Territory

Thanks for the advise. I am planning 2 full days in Darwin and 3 days travelling around the top part of the Northern Territory. Honestly I don't have anymore time. I have only weeks and am visiting Sydney and Melbourne. I want to get a flavour of the Northern Territory - visit a Aboriginal area and see some of their traditions and see some of the beautiful countryside as well as going off the beaten track which is what the Northern Territory is about.

I am very unsure about getting a 4 wheel drive. The reason is twofold. If I go off the beaten track I may not find my way back (I am sure there is no GPS in the area!) and secondly if it is rainy and I get stuck somewhere well I may not get out. I would certainly consider a tour as you say.

Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day drive in Northern Territory

If you want to combine a visit to an aboriginal community it may be possible to go on one of the aboriginal run tours of Kakadu but generally by November it is very humid with some rain so the most of this type of tour stop as they are driving off the sealed roads. You may need to contact them to see what they may have running when you are here. I would say Kakadu would be your best bet as you can visit a couple of aboriginal rock painting sites as they are on sealed roads.

In car GPS depends on the satellites so remoteness is not a problem, the ones that come with your phone are a different question and the coverage is patchy out of the cities.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day drive in Northern Territory

I visited Darwin in October and was surprised how much was already closed, how few tours were running, etc, due to the impending wet season. Even most of the harbour cruises were no longer running, even though Darwin itself shouldn't be too affected by wet weather. I went on a 3-day Kakadu tour but it was the second to last one being run for that season by that company (since it went to sites on unsealed roads). So I'll certainly defer to the experts but I was surprised on how the wet season really shuts down Darwin, even though the actual monsoons weren't there yet.

Maybe you could consider visiting Uluru-Kata Tjuta national park instead? It is easy to fly in and out directly from Ayers Rock airport, and there are lots of aboriginal tours and sites which are quite well interpreted. It is somewhat an expensive place to visit, but Darwin is fairly pricey too. And while it will likely be very hot at that time of year, at least it will be open.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 05:10
Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day drive in Northern Territory

Before the monsoon actually arrives there may be a month or more of localised but very heavy thunderstorms where a few inches can be dumped in half an hour and what was a nice gravel road is now impassable. Yet 5 kms away received no rain. It cannot be predicted when or where such a storm will happen. It gets expensive for the tour company if they get one of their vehicles bogged, especially if it is on black soil and the vehicle has to be dug out.

dublin
Level Contributor
67 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 day drive in Northern Territory

Wow. Thanks. I have my trip from Sydney to Melbourne sorted out. I will have to check this out further but havea bit of time to do so. If I took up driving myself in a normal car I could get myself in trouble if it really starts to rain and most places may be closed already!? Sounds like I may need to rethink everything for this part of my trip!!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
7. Re: 3 day drive in Northern Territory

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:16