We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advised about day trip to Kakadu and Katherine Gorge

Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Advised about day trip to Kakadu and Katherine Gorge

Hi, My friend and I will be going to Darwin on 20 August. We only have 5 full days there and planning to take a day trip to Kakadu and another day trip to either Katherine Gorge or Litchfield. I saw quite number of travel agency offering these two trips. Can anyone who have been on these day trips advise us how you feel about it? Thanks so much.

Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advised about day trip to Kakadu and Katherine Gorge

Oh yeah, also wondering have anyone tried the swag camping at Kakadu? How was the experience?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,828 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advised about day trip to Kakadu and Katherine Gorge

While a day trip to Litchfield is entirely do-able (and well-recommended), I can't imagine a day trip to either Kakadu or Katherine Gorge. Just getting to/from Kakadu from Darwin would take 8 hours and doing the same for Katherine would be even worse (around 9 - 10 hours). Do you want to spend that much time on a tour bus for just a few hours of sightseeing?

If you can arrange an overnight stay in Kakadu, then I'd recommend you spend 2 days in Darwin, 1 day at Litchfield and 2 days in Kakadu. The journey to Katherine Gorge is just too far for your limited time.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advised about day trip to Kakadu and Katherine Gorge

While some companies do offer a day trip it is a long day and you do not have time to see much . Darwin to Jabiru alone is 300kms plus return and visit some sites.

Really ditto for Katherine, you only have a few hours in Katherine. Go for a longer time wise tour, see more and be more relaxed, after all it is a holiday.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advised about day trip to Kakadu and Katherine Gorge

Good advice above. Go for a day trip to Litchfield, but if you want to see Kakadu do a 2 or 3 day trip. I would skip Katherine for this trip with the limited time you have.

5. Re: Advised about day trip to Kakadu and Katherine Gorge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Darwin