We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days in Top End

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
35 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
7 Days in Top End

We are planing ( me and my wife) to have a 7 day trip in Top End in the end of October.( Start from Darwin , Kakadu, Katherine)

My question is; Which is the best to get around renting a car or camper-van.As we heard that Darwin and around is quite expensive and we want to keep the expenses low.

So which one is better car or camper van ?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days in Top End

End of October is already out of the tourist season and into the build up to the wet so be prepared for very hot and humid weather. With that in mind, I think I would prefer the cool comfort of an air conditioned room,full bathroom and a pool at the end of each day.

If your seven days includes your arrival and departure days you only have 5 full travel days.The driving distance between the main centres (Darwin -> Jabiru -> Katherine -> Darwin) is nearly 900 km and then you have to add in trips to all the scenic spots like Edith Falls, Ubirr, Katherine Gorge, Litchfield NP and so on. It's going to be close to 1400 km in, effectively, 5 days. All you will have time to see is highways.

Consider omitting Katherine and focus on Darwin, Kakadu and Litchfield. There's plenty to see and do.

A car and a hotel room at the end of the day will be the most comfortable and probably the cheapest option.

We did the same trip you are planning last year in 10 days and felt that was just about right for a first visit.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days in Top End

Yes as mentioned above you will be visiting after the main tourist peak so prices should now be less. Weather will be getting more humid but no different from what you would have experienced in Malaysia. As most flights arrive early morning you will want several hours rest to recover and to be ready for some long distance driving. Depends on your interests as to what you visit and each place is different. You will not enjoy your holiday if you try to see all the places on your list, so cut it down to just 2 places.

There is not a lot of accommodation available on your planned route, so you might need to do some research to see what places meet your preferences best. If you use a campervan it will be more comfortable if the campervan has air conditioning separate from the one in the car, ie it runs on 240v. It may be cheaper to rely on motels/hotels or cabins in caravan parks.

Don't forget that the power points here are different from those in Malaysia so you will need an adapter plug if you want to charge your phones etc.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
35 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days in Top End

Thank you very much emel49 and LsBob for the prompt and detailed answer.I have done some more research on comparing car and camper-van.I think renting car would be better for us.

My question is : Is it easy to find camping sides on the way.Do we have to bring our own gear ( tent, etc..).Is it OK to camp in October.And do camping sites have cooking facilities, and shower ?

Thank you very much

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days in Top End

For tent camping it is restricted to only approved areas in Kakadu and Litchfield and facilities are provided. Those classified as bush sites are mainly for 4WD vehicles and do not have all facilities. By October it might be hot still at night for camping out and you will need mosquito nets to keep the unwanted visitor away, There are a few places on the way to Kakadu where you could camp but there are no facilities so you will have to carry everything you need including a portable toilet. Don't camp anywhere near a waterhole or a river. Probably try for a cabin in Kakadu for a more comfortable night.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days in Top End

>>Don't camp anywhere near a waterhole or a river<<

Just in case you missed the point, Bob was reminding you that there are a lot of crocodiles in the area, especially near water.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
35 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days in Top End

Thank you vey much again.I have done some more research an found these camp sites.

Anbinik Kakadu Resort

Cooinda Lodge Kakadu

Nitmiluk Chalets and Campground

Litchfield Tourist Park..

What do you think of them ?

Thank you for warning about crocodiles..

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Days in Top End

You mean something like this Emil?/ ntnews.com.au/news/northern-territory/monste…

Justkin, I would say that all of them should be ok.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
35 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Days in Top End

You too, Brutus? :)

Thank you very much for all the advice and your time

9. Re: 7 Days in Top End

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Darwin