We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-Chrissy North of Noosa? Fraser Island? Elsewhere?

At Sea
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-Chrissy North of Noosa? Fraser Island? Elsewhere?

Good Day!

Repeat visitor wondering about the weather in December. Specifically mid-December closing in on Chrissy for a visit to Fraser Island.

Will fly into Briz, then drive up to Noosa for a few nights,then hoping to venture further afield.

Based on your experience, is this a good time to visit Fraser Island?

How many nights would you stay and do you suggest a tour company? (Generally independent and competent, but not really 4WD experts).

Will the weather make this unpleasant? Can one swim at Fraser or is it not advised?

Cheers!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-Chrissy North of Noosa? Fraser Island? Elsewhere?

Here are the annual climate statistics for Rainbow Beach (on the mainland at the base of Fraser Island).

We were at Fraser for a few days in early December last year and it was very hot in the middle of the day when we were inland, away from the sea breezes. But as long as you're sitting in the shade somewhere with a cold beverage on hand you'll be fine.

You should never swim in the ocean at Fraser Island as sharks are a very real threat. But you can always take a dip in Eli Creek or one of the inland lakes.

Noosa that time of year will be really busy because of Christmas school holidays. It's a very popular spot. You have to get to Main Beach early in the morning to claim a spot. Alternatively, go around into the National Park and swim at some of the samller beaches or head down towards the river mouth end of the beach. If I were you I would book your Noosa accom as soon as possible.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,134 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-Chrissy North of Noosa? Fraser Island? Elsewhere?

Hello Tealbluebeach !

I see you are planning a return trip to our wonderful beaches. Still searching for a Noosa equivelant , lol ??

As templc74 said the weather will be typical Summer weather - hot, possible storms. Great swimming weather though, especially in Noosa.

It would be best to do a tour to Fraser if you dont want to self 4wd. You can even do them from Noosa.

http://www.fraserislanddiscovery.com.au/

http://www.fraserislandadventuretours.com.au/

These tours will cross the Noosa river and travel along 40 mile beach, past the Coloured Sands and onto Fraser from Rainbow Beach, so it a really good journey in itself.

A lot of people do swim at Fraser although yes sharks are around, to feed on all the fish ! Lake Mackenzie is a beautiful spot to swim though, and nice and safe.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-Chrissy North of Noosa? Fraser Island? Elsewhere?

Yes perfect time.

3 nights - stay at Kingfisher resort and go on trips from there.

I happily swim at Fraser but be warned, there can be currents which can make it dangerous if you aren't a strong swimmer.

West Chester...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-Chrissy North of Noosa? Fraser Island? Elsewhere?

You can't drive onto Fraser unless you have a 4WD or take one of the tours. The tour vehicles are very convenient and the drivers are pretty informative as they most are from the Island. There are a couple of larger hotels on the island if you wanted to stay overnight. There doesn't seem to any guarded beaches along the stretch that we drove, probably because of all the shark warnings. Lake McKenzie is a treat to swim in, crystal clear, great white silica sand and on sunny days, very blue. We actually had a dingo encounter there. Unless you are fishing or really like spending time on the beach, I don't think you need more than 2 days at the most.

At Sea
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-Chrissy North of Noosa? Fraser Island? Elsewhere?

Well hello old friends! And thanks to you and new friends.

Yes, your advice was perfect last year and yes I am now [planning on being a regular this time of year, as difficult as accomms might be.

And yes, thanks, I have learned my schoolie lessons well and am holding a room in Noosa already at a failsafe rate in case I can;t do better closer in.

And, to answer that burning beach question - the search is over!

Noosa - nothing like it!

But I also very much enjoyed: Burleigh heads- reminded me of Manly in miniature, with the small-town feel of the shops/ takeaway and the way the beach looked; Coolangatta - fabulous sand and terrific evening strolls around the point. Met some really lovely people there.

Even found a way to relax and just stare at the water in the shadow of the tall buildings at Broadbeach plus they have a cafe with a kind of caramel chocolate cheesecake mound of deliciousness!

Salt was relaxing but maybe a bit too much so. And Byron Bay...at long last Byron Bay. I can see where it must be heaven in the low season, but it was just so chockers, easily the most crowded beach I have seen in Australia, that I lost my will to seek its charms. Took a quick peek from the beach...very stunning, and a quick gelato and lunch at the hotel...the one not on the beach but inland, up the road, very upmarket, with lovely boardwalks- forgot the name entirely. Then went further inland meandering between towns and into the forest there (Mt. Waring?) and that was really terrific.

So, yeah, I'm not expecting the best beach ever at Fraser, but a World Heritage site so close by will be just the thing.

I think a tour company sounds ideal, combined with Kingfisher at a cheap (!) rate, if they do it.

I posted about the following week's plans separately, but in case you don't see that one...thinking about taking the time to drive down the coast to SYD. If that's not the stupidest thing you can think of and you have any suggestions, would really appreciate hearing of them.

Oh and for all those questions about Koalas, did not see any this trip, hence the need to revisit Noosa!

Ta!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,423 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-Chrissy North of Noosa? Fraser Island? Elsewhere?

If thinking of driving down to Sydney - click on this thread for any additional information.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

If you are visiting Fraser Island region, you also have some other magical places close at hand ..

From hervey bay you can catch a plane to Lady Elliott Island which is gorgeous or you can drive north further to the Town of 1770 and do a day tour to lady Musgrave Island - both are stunning and offer excellent snorkeling and pristine waters.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255074-d497…

http://www.ladyelliot.com.au/

7. Re: Pre-Chrissy North of Noosa? Fraser Island? Elsewhere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2009, 07:17