We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraser Island vs North Stradbroke Island

Treviso, Italy
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Fraser Island vs North Stradbroke Island

Hello.

Which is the best to visit?

Thank you

1. Re: Fraser Island vs North Stradbroke Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 June 2009, 00:22
Treviso, Italy
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraser Island vs North Stradbroke Island

Any advices?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraser Island vs North Stradbroke Island

Both very different. People live on Stradbroke, there are sealed roads, shops etc. The beaches are beautiful and you can get there from Brisbane. Fraser Island is bigger and is only accessible by four wheel drive. It has fabulous fresh water lakes with white sandy beaches and clear water, rainforests, coloured sands, surf beaches and still water beaches. So if you want unspoiled wilderness and a little of everything my vote is definitely Fraser. You can do it in a day trip on 4WD buses or Stay overnight.

Treviso, Italy
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fraser Island vs North Stradbroke Island

Thanks for your help.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fraser Island vs North Stradbroke Island

Fraser Island is a great natural wilderness island which is very unique - its also very big and you need to either have access to an all-terrain vehicle or join an organised tour. There are 2 (3*) resorts you can stay at but no actual roads.

As already stated North Stradbroke ( or 'Straddie' as we all call it) is also a very large island but it is also an actual suburb of Brisbane, with 3 townships, sealed roads, cafes, resorts, a huge range of holiday accommodation. There is a bus service if you dont have a car.

Most people stay at Pt.Lookout, which is where all the beautiful surf beaches are, and several are patrolled by Surf Life Savers.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fraser Island vs North Stradbroke Island

As much as I love both islands, for a tourist I think that Fraser Island has more to offer. It is the world's largest sand island and has world heritage listed rainforest as well as an abundance of freshwater lakes and creeks, gorgeous white sand beaches and lots of wildlife.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255078-r851…

Straddie is far more easily accessible and lovely in its own right, but if I had to choose between the two Fraser would get my vote.

Treviso, Italy
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fraser Island vs North Stradbroke Island

Thanks for you help!

In your opinion how many days should I stay on Fraser Island?

If I stay overnight on the island at the end of august can I omit doing whale watching boat tour from Harvey Bay?

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fraser Island vs North Stradbroke Island

It depends how tight your schedule is. You can stay at Hervey Bay and do a day trip to Fraser Island and spend another day on a whale watching trip. If you have more time you should spend two or three nights on the Island. I have been on several day trips and you will see most of the highlights however there is little time to swim or relax. If you stay on the Island you can take guided tours or hire a four wheel drive yourself. I would not recommend this unless you are experienced as we have had many accidents involving backpackers in recent years.

Treviso, Italy
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fraser Island vs North Stradbroke Island

From Fraser Island can you see many whales as a day-tour from Harvey bay or less?

Thanks again!

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fraser Island vs North Stradbroke Island

sofia have you said when you are coming?you can actually see whales from on the island ,but the whale watching tours are more up close,depends how close you want to get.